Hanna for calcium

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ran out of reagent for my red sea calcium test kit and I'm trying to decide if I should buy the refill kit or just buy the Hanna checker. I rarely check calcium because of my trident so I would just be using it to verify results.
So those of you who use the Hanna calcium checker do you like it?

For what it's worth I already have several Hanna checkers and love them. I wouldn't mind adding another to the collection if using it to test calcium isn't too much hassle. I watched a YouTube video of how to do the test and it didn't seem bad, but was wanting first hand opinions.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've had 0 issues with mine so far & also only use to check trident readings every now & then. As with most of these tests as long as you have educated yourself in how to use them properly & take your time you should have no issues. Just my opinion on it. Best of luck :)

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The checker only uses a drop of aquarium water for a sample, the rest of the cuvette requires distilled water. I would use rodi and my Hanna checked would read 475 and my salifert would read 450. There are more steps using the hanna checker so I almost never use mine anymore

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The checker only uses a drop of aquarium water for a sample, the rest of the cuvette requires distilled water. I would use rodi and my Hanna checked would read 475 and my salifert would read 450. There are more steps using the hanna checker so I almost never use mine anymore
One of the reasons I haven't bought it yet was because I was curious how reliable the test is. Something about using such a small sample (.1ml I think it was) makes me wonder how reliable the test is.

Also, you reminded me that I was curious if there is any difference from using distilled to rodi water. I don't keep distilled water and if it is required then I will go back to red sea test. I do keep plenty of rodi water made at all times though.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert.

Clear color change, repeatable results, and dirt cheap.

The calcium checker is the only I don't use as it's a PITA.
I've never had an issue with reading the results of my Red Sea kit so if I don't go with Hanna I will probably just get the reagent refill for it.
Have you had issues with the test results from Hanna not being repeatable. I care more about repeatability than I do with accuracy. I will only be using it every few weeks to check the trident.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's repeatable, as lo g as your super careful about the procedure, and using the pipette.

Only suggested the sailfert as it's a cheaper option, and easier to use IMO.
Ok thanks. If I was getting a new tritation test I would definitely look into salifert, but since for the red sea I just need the reagent refill its about the same cost wise, and since it's already the one I'm used to using I'd go back with it.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup nothing wrong with red sea. Used all there kits for many years.

If your happy with the red sea and don't want a new test kit that's harder to use, and probably not as accurate, then don't waste your money on it.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup nothing wrong with red sea. Used all there kits for many years.

If your happy with the red sea and don't want a new test kit that's harder to use, and probably not as accurate, then don't waste your money on it.
I guess ultimately that makes the most sense, if I like the red sea why switch to one that is harder to use and costs more.
Okay well I guess I'll get the refill kit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, the Hanna calcium checker seems among the worst of the Hanna checkers in terms of overall customer satisfaction.

I have a problem with it's design, requiring super low calcium in the blank, but I've not used it.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, the Hanna calcium checker seems among the worst of the Hanna checkers in terms of overall customer satisfaction.

I have a problem with it's design, requiring super low calcium in the blank, but I've not used it.
Thanks for the reply. I love most of their checkers but I guess there are certain parameters that can't be dumbed down to a simple single reagent test like the other Hanna checkers that I use. I guess I'll stick with the red sea that I've been using. I just always love the opportunity to get another "gadget".

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ran out of reagent for my red sea calcium test kit and I'm trying to decide if I should buy the refill kit or just buy the Hanna checker. I rarely check calcium because of my trident so I would just be using it to verify results.
So those of you who use the Hanna calcium checker do you like it?

For what it's worth I already have several Hanna checkers and love them. I wouldn't mind adding another to the collection if using it to test calcium isn't too much hassle. I watched a YouTube video of how to do the test and it didn't seem bad, but was wanting first hand opinions.
I don't see a need for a backup calcium test if you have a trident. Calcium doesn't change very much and really I think it could be tested quarterly in most cases and you'd be fine.

I also have an apex and trident, and for "backup" I just do quarterly ICP.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a need for a backup calcium test if you have a trident. Calcium doesn't change very much and really I think it could be tested quarterly in most cases and you'd be fine.

I also have an apex and trident, and for "backup" I just do quarterly ICP.
I felt the same way until the last time I went to change reagents and I manually tested my calcium, for the first time in 2 months, and it had dropped. The trident was still reporting it at 425 but my Red Sea test said it was 380.

I believe the lower reading to be true because I noticed that my controlled dosing wasn't adding nearly as much calcium as alkalinity. I honestly should've checked it much earlier but I didn't. So from now on I plan on verifying the tridents reading at least every other week or so. It doesn't seem like that much work to make sure my parameters are actually where I think they are, or at least not changing without me knowing it.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garbage, to tedious, real inaccurate.
Love every other Hanna except this one.
Salifert.
Yeah that seems to be the overwhelming majorities opinion. I think I'm just going to stick to Hanna checkers that only use 1 reagent, since all of the other ones seem to be overly complicated and tedious to use.

Red sea for the titration test for me though, I'm sure the salifert is just as good a test but I've already been using Red Sea without any issues.

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the calcium checker but didn't like it much, Its nice not having to look for a colour change, but the process is a bit long and I found its about 50 ppm off when compared to an icp test.
I don't really use it now I only really use the phosphate and alk ones. I get an icp test done once a month though and find thats enough.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the calcium checker but didn't like it much, Its nice not having to look for a colour change, but the process is a bit long and I found its about 50 ppm off when compared to an icp test.
I don't really use it now I only really use the phosphate and alk ones. I get an icp test done once a month though and find thats enough.
I currently use the alk, ulr phosphate, hr nitrate, and the copper checkers and love them, but it looks like I'll be passing on the calcium one.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that seems to be the overwhelming majorities opinion. I think I'm just going to stick to Hanna checkers that only use 1 reagent, since all of the other ones seem to be overly complicated and tedious to use.

Red sea for the titration test for me though, I'm sure the salifert is just as good a test but I've already been using Red Sea without any issues.
Just a PITA for me. Not sure why it needed extra steps.
I get a good consistent answer in less than 2 minutes with Salifert. I use the other Hanna’s and they are great, fast and easy. Salifert MG test is just as fast and easy.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back