Hanna H1718

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Hanna H1718 Iodine checker appropriate for reefing?

I dose Tropic Marin All4Reef and SeaChem Iodide. Hard to find a good test.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s actually not a reliable one

Last edited:

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it measure reef tank levels of Iodine though? According to Hanna it only has a resolution of .1ppm. With a +- .1 accuracy so even if it reads .1ppm you can't be sure it's not really 0. Or you could be at .1ppm and reading 0 and dosing when you shouldn't.

I tried the red sea pro kit and I ended up throwing it away. Decades ago I had a Lamotte kit that if I recall worked well..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Hanna H1718 Iodine checker appropriate for reefing?

I dose Tropic Marin All4Reef and SeaChem Iodide. Hard to find a good test.

It not a not at all useful for reef tanks.

It neither detects the appropriate forms (iodide and iodate) nor the appropriate levels (0.06 ppm or less) for iodine in seawater.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
LardLad

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.
I guess after studying up on it there's really no good recommendations for home testing outside of sending out a mail out test

OP
OP
LardLad

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It not a not at all useful for reef tanks.

It neither detects the appropriate forms (iodide and iodate) nor the appropriate levels (0.06 ppm or less) for iodine in seawater.
So after much research, am I to guess there is really no good home test for iodine? Is the mail in test the only decent method?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after much research, am I to guess there is really no good home test for iodine? Is the mail in test the only decent method?

I thought the Salifert test was OK when I used it, but that was a long time ago. I later decided iodine dosing was not useful in my tank. It is not something that I generally recommend as important, although I know some folks think it is. I suggest that folks wanting to dose iodine consider it as an experiment and look for benefit, not as a must do.

OP
OP
LardLad

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thank you for that. I used to dose Iodide conservatively at 1 drop/day. Now I am using Tropic Marin AllForReef ( which I like very much) and it has Iodine et al. In it and I am curious as to whether or not I am building up an excess of iodine etc. I would like to not have to send in mail-in water tests but I guess I'm going to have to. It would be nice if Hannah could come up with a reef appropriate checker.
According to the guy from Tropic Marin, they claim that it would be extremely difficult to have an excess of any Trace element due to the quote self-limiting nature of the additive. But on this I go on faith. Currently I'm considering microdosing kalkwasser to diminish my need for my ever-increasing dosing of the all for Reef product.
Anyway I appreciate your time and value your opinion I thank you.

OP
OP
LardLad

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the Salifert test was OK when I used it, but that was a long time ago. I later decided iodine dosing was not useful in my tank. It is not something that I generally recommend as important, although I know some folks think it is. I suggest that folks wanting to dose iodine consider it as an experiment and look for benefit, not as a must do.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back