Hanna High Range reading 0

KentuckyKobra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any issues with the HR tester testing at a consistent 0?
I’ve had this tester for a year now and ever since, it’s always tested 0.

I don’t have my old salifert or Red Sea test kits any longer to double check and I would like to avoid going back to them. But that may change if my tester is faulty.

For a little background, the tank is a year and a half old. It’s a 150 gallon with 15 fish of assorted sizes. Before the Hanna tester, I was usually between 5-10 nitrates. My only filtration is a filter sock and Bashsea skimmer.

I have no hair algae, Dino’s, cyano, or anything like that. In fact, the tank is doing pretty great; Corals and coralline are growing and healthy and the fish are well I should also add that I feed quite often.

I’ve never had a tank with no nitrates before. Especially a semi mature tank like mine currently is. Do I even need to worry, or should I spend the money and get a different tester?

If so, which kit does everyone recommended these days?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any issues with the HR tester testing at a consistent 0?
I’ve had this tester for a year now and ever since, it’s always tested 0.

I don’t have my old salifert or Red Sea test kits any longer to double check and I would like to avoid going back to them. But that may change if my tester is faulty.

For a little background, the tank is a year and a half old. It’s a 150 gallon with 15 fish of assorted sizes. Before the Hanna tester, I was usually between 5-10 nitrates. My only filtration is a filter sock and Bashsea skimmer.

I have no hair algae, Dino’s, cyano, or anything like that. In fact, the tank is doing pretty great; Corals and coralline are growing and healthy and the fish are well I should also add that I feed quite often.

I’ve never had a tank with no nitrates before. Especially a semi mature tank like mine currently is. Do I even need to worry, or should I spend the money and get a different tester?

If so, which kit does everyone recommended these days?
I like the high range tester. Maybe you’re actually zero.

Upvote 0

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm too new, but if literally everything is healthy and growing without any of the "bad stuff", than who cares what your actual number is?

Maybe it's 0 maybe it's 30 but your tank is doing what it's supposed to be doing.

Upvote 0

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many systems (mine is one) run consistent zero NO3 (0.1ppm or below) unless I dose it.
If you care to know whether your no3 is really zero or just ~1ppm and not getting picked up by the high range checker, you'll need another test kit.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm too new, but if literally everything is healthy and growing without any of the "bad stuff", than who cares what your actual number is?

Maybe it's 0 maybe it's 30 but your tank is doing what it's supposed to be doing.

The risk of dinos is higher with undetectable nutrients, and it can be a serious problem that folks usually want to avoid rather than try to fix after the fact.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KentuckyKobra

KentuckyKobra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The risk of dinos is higher with undetectable nutrients, and it can be a serious problem that folks usually want to avoid rather than try to fix after the fact.
That’s what I’m worried about. I’ve been in the hobby for a long time and have battled Dino’s before when I had 0 nitrates. I’d like to avoid that problem this time around.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back