hanna nitrite checker

ssww21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I want to buy a good nitrate test kit that is easy to read. I noticed that hanna does not make a nitrate test kit, but they have a nitrite test kit. Can the nitrite test kit be converted to nitrate? What is the difference or can I just read nitrite? Thanks for the help.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, it won't work. There isn't an inexpensive digital meter for nitrate; if there were, they would immediately sell thousands of them. Some have experimented with using a combination of Red Sea nitrate test reagents with a Hanna phosphorus checker to generate a linear relationship and conversion equation. After reading of it, I used this approach myself for several months but unfortunately didn't find it to be super accurate in my hands. Many people use the Red Sea Pro Nitrate test if your level is generally low. I myself use the Nyos Nitrate test, which uses a different color change than most other kits, one that my eyes can detect subtle variations with better.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I want to buy a good nitrate test kit that is easy to read. I noticed that hanna does not make a nitrate test kit, but they have a nitrite test kit. Can the nitrite test kit be converted to nitrate? What is the difference or can I just read nitrite? Thanks for the help.

Interesting question.

The chloride ion interfers with the nitrate test which I believe is the sole reason a Checker is not being sold. I regularly use the Hanna phosphate and phosphorous checker to determine the color intensity of the Red Sea nitrate test. I get around the chloride interference with a calibration curve. This is an easy thing to do but more work than most users care to do when all they need is an estimste of the nitrate concentration. If you want to give it a try, there is a calibration curved published on this forum. I think a different curve might be needed for every manufacture’s kit. One size might not fit all.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, it won't work. There isn't an inexpensive digital meter for nitrate; if there were, they would immediately sell thousands of them. Some have experimented with using a combination of Red Sea nitrate test reagents with a Hanna phosphorus checker to generate a linear relationship and conversion equation. After reading of it, I used this approach myself for several months but unfortunately didn't find it to be super accurate in my hands. Many people use the Red Sea Pro Nitrate test if your level is generally low. I myself use the Nyos Nitrate test, which uses a different color change than most other kits, one that my eyes can detect subtle variations with better.

Hanna has the nitrite meter and the explanation on how to use this. I have one and do use it for a general guide, according to Hanna on a reef you can read as high as 50 and be safe. I test @17 ppb and everything looks fine. At the same time I can use a Red Sea Pro and it reads over 4. There have been reviews also on BRS, people seem to be ok with it. I figure as long as I get little reading, I have n03 in tank.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna has the nitrite meter and the explanation on how to use this. I have one and do use it for a general guide, according to Hanna on a reef you can read as high as 50 and be safe. I test @17 ppb and everything looks fine. At the same time I can use a Red Sea Pro and it reads over 4. There have been reviews also on BRS, people seem to be ok with it. I figure as long as I get little reading, I have n03 in tank.

Are you testing for nitrite?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes with the Hanna meter. I also double check N03 with the Red Sea Pro test. If I’m low on the N02 always under 25 even when dosing Nitrate. I’m within the 4-5 range on Red Sea Nitrate test. It’s easier to check with the meter. Quicker for me

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back