Hanna Phosphate ULR v Non-ULR

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay - so yesterday I check my PO4 and it’s 0.55 - little high for my liking. This is with a Hanna Phosphate - not the ULR model.

So today I’m at my LFS and they have the ULR model and I pick it up - THINKING the ULR will show higher phosphate level then my current non-ULR model. But it read exactly the same?

Was I wrong to assume they would read differently?

Feel like I just wasted money on something I didn’t need lol.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why you would think they would necessarily read differently... 0.55 ppm is within the range either way (736 ULR reads from zero up to about 0.6 ppm, ULR 774 reads up to 0.9 ppm, and non-ULR 713 reads up to 2.5 ppm).

The difference is in the accuracy in that lower range of readings - the ULR ones are going to be more accurate for those values. E.g. a reading of 0.55 ppm on the ULR 774 might indicate an actual value anywhere between 0.503 ppm and 0.598 ppm, where the same reading on the non-ULR 713 might indicate an actual value anywhere between 0.488 ppm and 0.612 ppm.

For accuracy ranges see: http://larryl.emailplus.org/fish/test-kit-calculators.html

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back