Properly / Safely Testing with Hanna Checkers

CayoHueso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a set of Hanna Checkers (Phosphate ULR HI774, Nitrate HR HI782, Nitrite ULR HI764). The safety labeling on some of these seems pretty intense! There's nothing mentioned in the instruction manuals themselves about safety gear/disposal. And all the videos I've seen online, even Hanna's videos, no one's so much as wearing gloves LOL. Is Hanna just covering their liability? According to waring label on the Phosphate ULR reagent it seems like I need to be wearing gloves, glasses, a mask and be a in laboratory not my son's bedroom.

What about disposal, do you just pour it down the drain?

I started to think maybe I shouldn't have gotten the ULR checkers but the Phosphate LR HI713 has the same warning label.

Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 4.30.06 PM.png

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t drink it. Try not to get it on you. Or in your eyes. They have to cover their butts. Wear gloves if it makes you feel better. I’ve spilled both wet and dry on my skin before. No problems

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read the documentation that comes with test kits, these warnings are pretty common.
Red Sea, API, etc. all have them. I guess we see these questions because Hanna hazards might be marked more prominently, but the chemicals aren't inherently more dangerous than similar chemicals in other kits.

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about this too... I wear disposable gloves and do the testing in the garage workshop. I even rinse the test tubes there. @taricha makes a great point too

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back