Hanna tester’s “Standard solutions”

Project

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to share that Hanna’s instruments has “standard solutions” for many of their testers. (I recently found out). And I don’t think many know about it.

I’ve owned 4 Hanna tester for almost 2yrs and using these standard solutions, i was able to check if my testers are still within the given range including calcium tester.

IMG_8244.jpeg

OP
OP
P

Project

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realizing that having these “certified solution” is one way to test.

OR…

Just take it to a buddies house and test it against his. Probably cheaper. Because these solutions are now waiting to be reused. And unless I see some big swing in my parameters, I won’t be using it again.

Btw. Shop around if you are going to buy them. There were some price differences cross large venders including Hanna direct website.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to share that Hanna’s instruments has “standard solutions” for many of their testers. (I recently found out). And I don’t think many know about it.

I’ve owned 4 Hanna tester for almost 2yrs and using these standard solutions, i was able to check if my testers are still within the given range including calcium tester.

IMG_8244.jpeg

I’m not a fan of these. All they do is check the electronics, which are rarely the problem.

A true standard which checked the reagents, the user protocol, the cuvettes, AND the electronics would be far, far more useful.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news/bad news
Bad news is that these "standards" are pretty much always going to say that the checker is working correctly, because the checker color measurement is almost never the problem. The chemical test and reaction has far more potential for error than digitally measuring the color, so these don't tell you much about whether your test numbers are "right."
Good news is that the reason these are almost never useful, is that hanna's digital eyeballs are really good. Rick and I have traded standards back and forth in the past and come up with results like our two checkers being within about 1% of each other.

OP
OP
P

Project

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, learn something new each day. These cuvettes are hard to come by so I will have spares now.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 34 14.9%
  • No

Votes: 169 74.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 25 11.0%

Back