Hannah calcium trouble

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I own almost all Hannah instruments and decided to get my self a calcium checker.. got it bought some rodi water from cbs as I heard is the best to check it with but no matter what I do it comes out wrong is eather At 420 or 480
Anyone have my tips on how to fix it I am doing every step rigth amount of water rigth amount of everything
I took so a lot of hemos try clases in college and know how to check test tubes very well..
If anyone could help on their experience it will be really helpful

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve spent years working in a lab and I find that checker incredibly unreliable...

the new pipette helped a bit but results are still all over the place. The dilution is far too great for a home test kit. Not sure what to tell you, mine is collecting dust...

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got the test I was having the same issue with the Hanna always reading higher than a Salifert or Red Sea test kit. I got the Hanna because I'm color blind and have issues with color changes and my wife isn't always around when I want to test.
I finally started getting consistent readings when I began giving the outside of the 100µL pipette a quick wipe with a paper towel before injecting it into the cuvette. Even a small amount of extra water can cause high readings with the dilution factor used on the Hanna. Since I started doing this, it has been great for me.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yep. Keep your testing procedures consistent and you’ll get consistent results.

Use only distilled water for the 9ml with the 1ml reagent

No extra drops from the pippette. This is critical as the dilute sample is only .1 ml

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine used to test 100-200 above other tests until I started wiping the pipette because even a small drop of water from the outside of the pipette makes a huge difference with the small sample.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine used to test 100-200 above other tests until I started wiping the pipette because even a small drop of water from the outside of the pipette makes a huge difference with the small sample.
I’ll have to try that but I’ve decided it’s way too finicky of a test and went back to titration.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back