Hannah checkers

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the hannah checkers worth the money? I've read they are pretty accurate but have to buy the reagent packets as well?
I'm looking to buy a decent phosphate test kit but cant bring myself to spend so much on a tester

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after using some of the other test kits and getting either poor results (0 when I knew it couldn't be) or the iffy testing procedures, I went to hanna for phos and alk. Worth the money by far. The other test kits are money down the drain. There's some tricks to the hanna phos checker that I can share if you go that route

MDeVito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, was thinking about picking up Marinedepot's hanna checker reef pack.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the alk is the best one they make. Ca is also good, but hate emptying that packing into the vile. I was going to buy the phosphate one but heard negative things about it, so I went with Salifert.

75pxatr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very cautious about the hanna alkalinity checker. They had a bad batch of reagent several years ago and it hurt if you were trying to adjust alkalinity on a bad reading. I just don't trust the alkalinity accuracy.

For alkalinity won't trust anything but Salifert.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer my salifert kits over the Hannah checkers as well. I have never had bad results with the Hannah checkers, I just think salifert is quicker and easier to use, not to mention cheaper;)

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't agree more, ease of use is critical. As time goes on you will find yourself skipping the tests that are annoying to perform. Keep it simple and you are more likely to maintain the testing.

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what I’d do without my Hannah alk/dkh checker and phosphate one.

I use Red Sea for calcium. I hardly check calcium. I rely on my alk everyday though.

75pxatr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another example - yesterday my Hanna PO4 checker gave me an initial reading of 0.05. I re ran the test and it gave me a reading of 0.00. With the Salifert tests, I have more consistent readings which gives me more confidence.

If my P04 test is off, no big deal. If my Alk test is off, it is a big deal.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Hanna checkers. We are saving up to buy a few more. We have the ALK checker and it pays for itself over a short time. The bottles of reagent are inexpensive and last a while (depending how often you check). We use salifert too. Hanna is much easier IMO.

Bdrake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since Phosphate is so hard to check with a drip test I recommend the ULR Phosphorus checker if you want to keep 0.01 to 0.03 PPM Phosphate. The "Low Range Phosphate" checker is only good down to 0.08 PPM.
ICP mirrors the readings of my LR checker, even at 0.02-0.04.

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be mixed views on it. Im lazy at testing so I'm lookin for the easier and quicker one. How many reagent packets do you get when you purchase a hannah checker? Going to have a look at salifert now

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each time I redorder the regents I get 25. I used several others and always got either 0 readings or readings I couldn't really tell. The hanna tells me exactly and needing to keep some po4 in the tank, it's nice to see where I am at as it is such a yo-yo. Over 1 add phosguard. Hit 0 remove phosguard. Still at 0, add po4 into tank

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems very expensive for the Hannah checker. I’m looking between 70-90 aud, or the Salifert test kit is about 20ish. I’m guessing salifert is similar to the Red Sea ones where you add drops and scoops etc?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the hanna checkers for Alk & Po4 . I have the regular hanna po4 not the ulr . There's a BRS video comparing the two.

GAcoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been told by a store worker that the Hanna results are not even compared to their lab test they do on their facility. He consider them a waste of time. I also have read an article a while ago where they had issues with a batch of reagents for some specific testing, I believe they have addresed the issue. Even so I got to purchase some testers but I wasn't able to compare my results with another brand. I'm not discrediting the tester, I've been only sharing my experience, anyone could find more info or ask a real lab person to make them a test and find if they're accurate.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 15.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 59 40.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 34 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 4.8%

Back