Hannah Instruments Checker

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Randy is being diplomatic about it but the Hanna Salinity Checker has a known issue whereby it works fine reading salinity for fresh made saltwater but on some peoples aquariums it reads .03ppt low. Not that refractometers are bulletproof, but no one should rely solely on the Hanna Checker to maintain salinity.
I make my own conductivity standard based off Randys article from 2006 and calibrate mine using that. Its cheaper and i had some bad Hanna packets that had me running high salinity. It reads no difference between new saltwater and tank water. I wonder why some people have this issue...

rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought Alkalinity, Calcium, and Phosphorous when I first got into the hobby. Stopped using Alkalinity, and Calcium pretty quickly as I added a Trident. So I only use the Phosphorus ULR now. If i could have only purchased one. I would have purchased the ALK first.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own conductivity standard based off Randys article from 2006 and calibrate mine using that. Its cheaper and i had some bad Hanna packets that had me running high salinity. It reads no difference between new saltwater and tank water. I wonder why some people have this issue...
Apparently it depends on the compounds that are in the water. The same principles apply in theory to refractometers, if you put sugar in the water it will throw the readings off but it seems whatever it is, some people's tanks have this and others don't because the .03ppt number has been consistent every time I've seen it come up including on the devices Amazon reviews.

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, just pointing out that Hanna is a newcomer to the conductivity game, and doesn't provide anything unique.

I use a like a used Orion Model 128, which can be had on ebay sometimes. Mine has a 4 electrode probe and can be used from RO/DI to limewater/kalkwasser to salinity, with a faster temperature correction than the Pinpoint that I also used.
I do notice the pinpoint takes some time to settle down with the reading. I let it sit for 15 minutes then check the results. It drops from 53 to 52.6 in that time. Makes me wonder how accurate it is with its atc. If I use a standard at room temp the reading does not change, only the tank sample at 78 degrees changes over time as it cools down. I'm thinking it's the atc on the meter or the water temp dropping to room temp (which is the temp I calibrate the pinpoint) that causes the issue.

ru4serious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get why people love the alk checker. It's fast, easy and accurate but so is every other brand. Alk is literally the only parameter where this is true. Now the Phosphate ULR heck yes. I have to imagine people get the alk tester because it is the most important parameter to test frequently, but the reagent costs add up. $9 for 25 Hanna tests vs $15 for 100 Salifert. I mean go with what you're confident with the results, but for me at least give me any of the alk kits from the top brands and I'm happy.
Well I am an older guy who's eyes don't work as well as they used to, and slight color variations are getting harder to differentiate, I can still see the numbers

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back