Happy Thanksgiving! Help me find a new light please

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have a 120G that’s roughly 24” x 24” and 24” deep. I’ve been using two AI Primes and I need to upgrade the PAR now that I’m trying to get corals going. Would appreciate any thoughts you have on lights.

My preference is LED as the lights sit in an open back canopy about 8” over the water surface. So I’m worried about heat buildup.

Thanks in advance!

Dakota199

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the par? I feel like you should be able to achieve most corals needed with two primes. However if you want to upgrade a single AI 32hd would be good, but it's essentially just two prime picks or a kessil 360 or a radion Xr15 or Xr30.
primes should handle anything unless you are pretty much acropora only.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the par? I feel like you should be able to achieve most corals needed with two primes. However if you want to upgrade a single AI 32hd would be good, but it's essentially just two prime picks or a kessil 360 or a radion Xr15 or Xr30.
primes should handle anything unless you are pretty much acropora only.
Thanks @Dakota199 My PAR at the sand is around 80. But that’s also with more white than I’d like and the deep blue channels running around 102-103 and lighter blues around 80-90.

I was also looking at the Maxspect Razors.

yz25067

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefi Duo Extremes. Best light I the business with the best light spectrum, features and warranty. Great customer service too.

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have a 120G that’s roughly 24” x 24” and 24” deep. I’ve been using two AI Primes and I need to upgrade the PAR now that I’m trying to get corals going. Would appreciate any thoughts you have on lights.

My preference is LED as the lights sit in an open back canopy about 8” over the water surface. So I’m worried about heat buildup.

Thanks in advance!
@mike550 i think it al depends on your budget. There are a ton of great options out there. I researched new lights for months on my 65G after initially running Currents (since it was my first toe dip in the reef). Of course the high dollar AI Hydras all get rave reviews as do other premium brands. But after a few trips to my local LFS and other coral shops I started looking at, and ended up going with, Ocean Revives. For the price and what I have seen grow under them they accomplished my goals

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mike550 i think it al depends on your budget. There are a ton of great options out there. I researched new lights for months on my 65G after initially running Currents (since it was my first toe dip in the reef). Of course the high dollar AI Hydras all get rave reviews as do other premium brands. But after a few trips to my local LFS and other coral shops I started looking at, and ended up going with, Ocean Revives. For the price and what I have seen grow under them they accomplished my goals
Thanks @WirelessMike, @Pistondog @newfly and @yz25067 So I just noticed I misposted the dimensions. My tank is 48x24x24 and my canopy limits my lights to around 8-9” from the water. So my options became limited in terms of spread and height.

I went back and forth between spending way too much for AI or Radions. Then started looking at the ReefBreeder Photon 48. Long story short when the ReefBreeders went on sale I jumped on the chance knowing that I’ll need to think about hotspots and spread. I will still have my Primes in case I want to fill in anyplace.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back