A Reef Breeders Pico Light Review

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I entered the @Reef Breeders Pico light giveaway. Ended up using this to replace the hide on my coral quarantine. Needless to say, tank looks great, just a little washed out due to basement lights overpowering it

IMG_0283.jpeg
IMG_0286.jpeg

IMG_0287.jpeg

0_IMG_0284.jpeg
1_IMG_0285.jpeg

Alright guys, so above is initial post on receiving the new ReefBreeders Pico light. I’ve had this light for about 1.5 months on my 5.5 gallon coral quarantine. Today I took this light off and put my halide back on the tank. Here’s my brief review:

Some light info:

Saltwater Reef: Designed with corals in mind! 1 x 6500K Cool White, 3 x 450nm Royal Blue, 1 x 420nm Violet, 1 x 480nm Cool Blue. Covers SPS up to 10" x 10", LPS up to 14" x 14", and Soft Corals up to 16" x 16".

Main Features:

• Dimmable sunrise, sunset, and moonlight controller included
  • The power output has been increased by 23% from 7watts to 9watts
  • Onboard heat sink reduces running temp and increase LED life
  • Integrated light shade reduces light spill outside the aquarium
  • Corrosion resistant matte black hardware
  • 24 month USA warranty

Now with that out of the way, the light works. Though for me, I’m in extreme doubt of the ability to support corals in the way mentioned above. I do not have par numbers but I had the light about 9 inches above the water on a 5.5 gallon tank with mostly green star polyps and Kenya tree. With the exception of the first week or so, the corals have opened up less and less leading me to believe the light is too weak (these corals came from 250w halides in my 65 gallon). In the couple hours since switching back to the halide for this tank, the corals have begun to open more. It may be coincidence and honestly without measuring par, I could be way off and that the light was too strong but I’m just doubting it. This light may work for some but it’s not my choice. Feel free to put your own reviews here as well if you have this light.

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your 5.5? Standard Eurobrace tank?

I also won one and I just put it on a 4-gallon 10" cube. I have the light very close to the surface and I'm thinking I'll put a porite right under it to see how it does. Will report back.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the standard rimmed Aqueon 5.5 (I think it’s 16.5x8.5.10.5).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back