Hard Plumbing tank for the first time.

sk8elenex92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I'm hard plumbing a tank for the first time and have dry fitted everything, but now I am not sure what to do next. Yea, probably a real dumb questions..

Do I glue everything together outside of the tank and then glue everything to the bulkhead at the end?
I was thinking about first gluing in the pvc pipe into the bulkhead and union. After that attach the rest of the assembled plumbing on the union? I'm scared about putting a lot of pressure on the bulkhead. I will have a hanger holding the return plumbing so it does not sag, but that would be at the end I assume.

Which steps would you take after dry fitting everything??

62674940241__97319415-25E4-4F6B-9115-A1F379521B27.jpg

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I'm hard plumbing a tank for the first time and have dry fitted everything, but now I am not sure what to do next. Yea, probably a real dumb questions..

Do I glue everything together outside of the tank and then glue everything to the bulkhead at the end?
I was thinking about first gluing in the pvc pipe into the bulkhead and union. After that attach the rest of the assembled plumbing on the union? I'm scared about putting a lot of pressure on the bulkhead. I will have a hanger holding the return plumbing so it does not sag, but that would be at the end I assume.

Which steps would you take after dry fitting everything??

62674940241__97319415-25E4-4F6B-9115-A1F379521B27.jpg
After a dry fitting I’d start with the bulk head and go down. Being that the PVC is sticking into the sump if you glue it all and then try to turn twist and angle it into position you’re likely to be unable to do so, and may need to grab those PVC cutters one last time. I’d start with the top and go down so if something doesn’t add up right you can still fix it or make adjustments.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go slow, insure you have a secure fit before moving on to the next connection.
Regarding gluing, there really isn't much to mess up, hold the sanction glued tight for a few seconds and move on.

You'll be fine!!!
When I did part of my hardline I made sure to glue on female and male, then twist (unless it’s a turn Dont mess up your angles) then it was rock solid. Before running water I’d add to wait until the cure time is over also. I didn’t but I would suggest it just in case :)

OP
OP
sk8elenex92

sk8elenex92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I went for it. I glued everything together outside of the tank, triple checking every length as it goes it a bit more after the glue is applied.
Today I will glue the pvc pipe to the bulk head and then connect the rest of the plumbing to it with the union.

now I pray nothing leaks!!!!

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a dry fitting I’d start with the bulk head and go down. Being that the PVC is sticking into the sump if you glue it all and then try to turn twist and angle it into position you’re likely to be unable to do so, and may need to grab those PVC cutters one last time. I’d start with the top and go down so if something doesn’t add up right you can still fix it or make adjustments.
How long do you wait for the pvc glue to dry before u can add water

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back