Hard to remove algae. Photo and micro pics.

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have some hard to remove algae on my feather duster. It's been a while...but I remember it growing on some other piece of rockwork and I thought I had eliminated it. Unlike hair algae (which I have plenty) this stuff will not pull or brush off. It is very firmly attached to the feather duster and I don't want to pull harder for fear of tearing the "tube" on the worm. I took some photos with my phone as well as some microscope pics. Visually it looks like it's brownish/green and seems to be branching...not straight like hair algae. It does look "straight" though under the microscope

FYI. I ran a course of chemiclean about 5 weeks ago for cyano...obviously no effect on this stuff.

Any thoughts on type? Bryopsis? If so Flucazole? which I have done a couple of times before....

How to get rid of based on it growing on a feather duster? special considerations?

Further.jpeg
over blurry.jpeg
micro 3.jpeg
micro 1.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is straight and the tips have a fern like appearance that may indicate briopsis. With GHA in the tank raising magnesium to 1500 weakens it and turns ends white making it easier to get rid of.

I would take the duster out of the tank and remove algae if possible before it spreads. Maybe spot spray peroxide but I'd rather lose a duster then have briopsis in the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back