Harelequin shrimp & LPS corals

Mr. Acantho

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 31, 2023
Messages
195
Reaction score
135
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've avoided shrimp because they can pick in the mouths of meat corals. Would a harlequin shrimp do the same thing?

I need to get rid of asterina starfish
 
I had a harlequin and they do not have any interest in anything but starfish. They will devour the tank of them in a month or two. Then you will need to buy chocolate chip starfish weekly as a food source. These guys eat coral so buy one and keep in the sump. Then every 1-2 days cut off an arm and feed the shrimp. Once the star has half its arms gone, give the remains to the shrimp as a big meal. Then, go back to the LFS and buy another starfish

Harlequin can not go very long without eating, you will always need live starfish on hand
 
I once kept one in a 50 gallon reef tank covered in asterinas. It cleared every last starfish out within 2 months. Sadly it didn’t last much longer after that.

I now have a pair in my 500 gallon display after a healthy asterina star population had established. They’ve been in there a little over a year and they are still healthy and have grown quite a bit. Still asterinas, although not as many.

I honestly wouldn’t add one to a tank smaller than 200 gallons and even then I think it may wipe out all of the asterinas.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new