harlequin shrimp/astrea stars

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a fair amount of astrea stars that i want to get rid of, so that i dont have to continue worrying about them eating my zoas. a harlequin shrimp is obviously a good tool for this, but i dont really want to get one, just to have to either get rid of it when i dont need it anymore, because there is n food left, and i dont want to have to buy starfish just to keep it alive. my question comes down to how much will it eat? is it going to erradicate a large amount of starfish in a small amount of time, or if i hhave a medium size population of them, will the astrea keep up the population enough for it to be a food source that stays adequate?

for example, right now i see about 12 astrea just on the glass alone, on a 65g. that doesnt count others within the tanks, so we can easily assume that there are 30 or more within the tank. how fast would a harley go through a population like that?

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would talk to your LFS. I was able to get one to take care of my asterina starfish. When I saw they were completely gone I was able to take it back and get partial store credit. I called it rent-a-shrimp haha.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a fair amount of astrea stars that i want to get rid of, so that i dont have to continue worrying about them eating my zoas. a harlequin shrimp is obviously a good tool for this, but i dont really want to get one, just to have to either get rid of it when i dont need it anymore, because there is n food left, and i dont want to have to buy starfish just to keep it alive. my question comes down to how much will it eat? is it going to erradicate a large amount of starfish in a small amount of time, or if i hhave a medium size population of them, will the astrea keep up the population enough for it to be a food source that stays adequate?

for example, right now i see about 12 astrea just on the glass alone, on a 65g. that doesnt count others within the tanks, so we can easily assume that there are 30 or more within the tank. how fast would a harley go through a population like that?
30 asterinas will last a week or 2 - tops -with an average sized harlequin. My recommendation, just remove them from the glass when you see them.

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
about 15 a day,controlled feeding, she's only sm-med rt now
20231013_000619.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about 15 a day,controlled feeding, she's only sm-med rt now
20231013_000619.jpg
Thanks. I couldn't remember how many mine was eating before I started feeding chocolate chips... It was huge and I had to buy a chocolate chip every week to 10 days! Finally re-homed it.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 34 35.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 31 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back