Asterinas eating my zoas

VirginiaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asterina starfish ate all my zoas. I got a harlequin shrimp to eat the starfish but something killed that( beat it up). 29 Gallon tank with 1 clown, 1 royal Gramma, 1 Springeri damsel, 1 cleaner skunk shrimp. Next steps before I add gasoline and fire?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asterina starfish ate all my zoas. I got a harlequin shrimp to eat the starfish but something killed that( beat it up). 29 Gallon tank with 1 clown, 1 royal Gramma, 1 Springeri damsel, 1 cleaner skunk shrimp. Next steps before I add gasoline and fire?

First, I would try to remove as much as you can.

If that doesn't work, (Which it probably wont), I have heard that bumblebee snails, or six line wrasses can eat them, but it's not their only source of food, so its unlikely that they will wipe out the population.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with some and manually removed them. Most seemed to end up on the glass after lights went off which made it easier to remove. Not all went after the zoa’s.
A few still left but it seemed to have cured the problem.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know what beat up your harly maybe the damsel or the clown? I had this same issue years ago got two harlys and they destroyed the stars in short order. I was going around to local reefers and picking the stars out of their tanks or buying chocolate chip stars to keep them fed. But I had wrasses, tangs, watanabi angels, gramma, and probably some others I am forgetting no one bothered mine. These are the best weapon against invasion from the stars.....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back