Harlequin Shrimp

KyleC.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a harlequin shrimp for sale/ borrow? asterina star issue, that I never gave concern until I stumbled across some zoas...

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought the starfish were fine until I had first hand experience with them eating coral. Doubt anyone is going to loan you their Harlequin though. Bubble bee shrimp have been reported to eat the starfish as well and they will eat other things and not i.e. once their sole food source is gone.

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with Harlequin shrimp is they only eat star fish. We have to add a starfish every two weeks to month.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If in NJ aquarium care center has both harlequins and bumblebee shrimp as part of their normal invert stocking

OP
OP
KyleC.

KyleC.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Munn...I understand they may not be there preferred choice, and will keep there choice cuisine in the sump, to feed when needed. Have been manually removing everyone (star) I catch red-handed, but it feels like I haven’t made a dent, and they won’t leave the dam things alone lol... Really need to restart/start another tank with dead rock...

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Munn...I understand they may not be there preferred choice, and will keep there choice cuisine in the sump, to feed when needed. Have been manually removing everyone (star) I catch red-handed, but it feels like I haven’t made a dent, and they won’t leave the dam things alone lol... Really need to restart/start another tank with dead rock...

I know where there was a 220

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many zoas do you have? Another option would be to remove the zoas to a smaller tank. And put the zoas on a rotating freshwater dip schedule. Only the zoas i wouldnt do this with any hard corals, those use a proper dip if its eating those. But say once a week. See if the population lowers.

Hopefully your sea stars are not generalists. If they are this wont help at all.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a small 5 gallon tank that was placed right next to my 90 gallon with the help of a small powerhead pump pushing water into the 5 gallon & exiting via a drilled opening to the main display. It was the only way I could see those shrimps.

OP
OP
KyleC.

KyleC.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't give up my friend. My tank is a 90 gallon and not sure what's yours? It'll take a little while but it does work. Eradicate them so they have no chance of reproducing.

40b. Not large, but, I’ve been pulling everyone I see, and have yet to notice a decline in the population. I’ll keep on plucking, and hope for the best. Thanks main!

OP
OP
KyleC.

KyleC.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many zoas do you have? Another option would be to remove the zoas to a smaller tank. And put the zoas on a rotating freshwater dip schedule. Only the zoas i wouldnt do this with any hard corals, those use a proper dip if its eating those. But say once a week. See if the population lowers.

Hopefully your sea stars are not generalists. If they are this wont help at all.

Not going to count the heads. My build thread has a picture. Don’t know how to link it... I’ve had most of my coral for a while now, with no issues. I like the FW dip idea, and also like the style of a natural predator, and the looks of a harlequin.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back