Harlequin tusk has dropsy?

steven m

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Aussie harlequin tusk for a week that's been in quarantine with copper power at 2.50ppm. since I received the fish it hasnt been eating and the store i bought it from says that they are really shy at first. So I took nothing of it until I saw it laying down breathing heavy and I noticed it looks bloated. So lifted up the cave that it was hiding in and I see thatoat of the scales closer to the tail area are lifted up and it looks like drosy. I'm not sure what this is and I tried to hold the fish for a better photo. Is it caused by the copper?
@Humblefish it's possible it had this for awhile but the fish was hiding in a cave so I left it in there to acclimate to the qt.

ACE47CE6-B3A0-4624-81DB-39A0947EF9B8.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have an Aussie harlequin tusk for a week that's been in quarantine with copper power at 2.50ppm. since I received the fish it hasnt been eating and the store i bought it from says that they are really shy at first. So I took nothing of it until I saw it laying down breathing heavy and I noticed it looks bloated. So lifted up the cave that it was hiding in and I see thatoat of the scales closer to the tail area are lifted up and it looks like drosy. I'm not sure what this is and I tried to hold the fish for a better photo. Is it caused by the copper?
@Humblefish it's possible it had this for awhile but the fish was hiding in a cave so I left it in there to acclimate to the qt.

ACE47CE6-B3A0-4624-81DB-39A0947EF9B8.jpeg
May be a bacterial infection but need better pics and in water to clearly see what it is
If dropsy, you will need antibiotic such as seachem kanaplex or neoplex

OP
OP
steven m

steven m

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EAB2D87D-B281-4B73-9E9B-65E2E1D46D90.jpeg

Attachments

• FF98FACE-3B6A-442B-A43F-CE6170CEE34F.jpeg
    FF98FACE-3B6A-442B-A43F-CE6170CEE34F.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
steven m

steven m

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be a bacterial infection but need better pics and in water to clearly see what it is
If dropsy, you will need antibiotic such as seachem kanaplex or neoplex
Fish is breathing heavy, should I do a water change and take out the copper?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Fish is breathing heavy, should I do a water change and take out the copper?
Water change and increase aeration with air stone
No copper unless known parasite
You can use ruby rally pro or general cure

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had ich from a fish I bought 2 weeks ago
Ruby rally will help with protection
Does that fish still have ich?
Full treatment is 30 days. If you didn’t do full treatment, there is potential for return

OP
OP
steven m

steven m

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby rally will help with protection
Does that fish still have ich?
Full treatment is 30 days. If you didn’t do full treatment, there is potential for return
The ich is gone but I was keeping them in the copper fora full treatment, but getting the tusk healthy and eating is top priority for me

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dropsy in marine fish is REALLY rare, but that looks like it.

What is the salinity of the tank?

Dropsy is due to kidney failure. That can come from bacterial infection or from collection with cyanide. I've never seen copper cause that. The rapid breathing could be from systemic issues due to organ failure, or gill parasites.

Are you sure it is an Australian tusk? The reason I ask is that some importers know that Aussie tusks command a higher price, so they "relabel" any nice, blue tooth tusk as being "Aussie". Your LFS then doesn't know any better, so they sell it as that. The trouble is that a lot of southeast Asian tuskfish are caught with cyanide and that can cause high mortality due to organ damage.

Ultimately, being able to hold the tusk in your hand like that is a really bad sign. Since you can't treat kidney failure, I don't think there is anything to be done for it, sorry!

Jay

OP
OP
steven m

steven m

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R

Dropsy is due to kidney failure. That can come from bacterial infection or from collection with cyanide. I've never seen copper cause that. The rapid breathing could be from systemic issues due to organ failure, or gill parasites.

Are you sure it is an Australian tusk? The reason I ask is that some importers know that Aussie tusks command a higher price, so they "relabel" any nice, blue tooth tusk as being "Aussie". Your LFS then doesn't know any better, so they sell it as that. The trouble is that a lot of southeast Asian tuskfish are caught with cyanide and that can cause high mortality due to organ damage.

Ultimately, being able to hold the tusk in your hand like that is a really bad sign. Since you can't treat kidney failure, I don't think there is anything to be done for it, sorry!

Jay
thank you for the help. It's really upsetting I can't do much to help it.

OP
OP
steven m

steven m

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Salinity is 1.023

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back