Harlequin tusk dying

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone today I saw my Harlequin tusk laying on its side on the sand and not really moving much but his breathing is very heavy. I put him in an acclamation box he’s laying in his side 95% on the time heavy breathing sometimes he swims but not much

IMG_9964.jpeg IMG_9965.jpeg IMG_9971.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9966.mov
    42.2 MB
  • IMG_9970.mov
    43.4 MB
OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone today I saw my Harlequin tusk laying on its side on the sand and not really moving much but his breathing is very heavy. I put him in an acclamation box he’s laying in his side 95% on the time heavy breathing sometimes he swims but not much

PH- 7.4

Ammonia- 0

Nitrite - 0.25

Nitrate - 5.0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Sorry to see. While these guys are generally hardy, I have seen a number of Philippine specimens not making it and question how they are being caught and shipped.
They start out eating then hiding until they starve and become weak.
Did it eat for you and when did it stop, If it stopped eating?
Any other occupants, and how do they look?

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see. While these guys are generally hardy, I have seen a number of Philippine specimens not making it and question how they are being caught and shipped.
They start out eating then hiding until they starve and become weak.
Did it eat for you and when did it stop, If it stopped eating?
Any other occupants, and how do they look?
He was eating in QT for 2 week and he was eating in the display tank for like another 2 weeks but I haven’t seen him eat in a few days. The other fish in the tank seem fine I see a few spots on fins of 2 fish a bullet goby and I thought the smile coat on a scopes tang was coming off but he seems fine a few hours later all my other tangs, triggers and clowns and everything is fine

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He was eating in QT for 2 week and he was eating in the display tank for like another 2 weeks but I haven’t seen him eat in a few days. The other fish in the tank seem fine I see a few spots on fins of 2 fish a bullet goby and I thought the smile coat on a scopes tang was coming off but he seems fine a few hours later all my other tangs, triggers and clowns and everything is fine
Same symptoms as I described. Other fish I understand doing good, or experiencing issues also? Spots on fins can be sand, viral or fin ray. Cant tell with no pics of them

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you treated the fish with any medication while he was in QT/ It looks like it's severely ill - and not sure what can be done now - except to put in a hospital tank and treat with a copper based product.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it looks like it has a severe gill disease.

One other factor to consider - this is a small one. Do you know if it was one of the Bali Aquarich captive raised ones, or wild caught? There are a lot of young wild caught ones coming into the market right now (I think they are seasonal) and those have a very high mortality rate for the first 40 days or so. It may be that they are collected with cyanide.

Here is an article I wrote on these:

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back