Harlequin Tusk With a CUC...Yes, No, Maybe So?

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been debating on getting a Harlequin Tusk and have done my research on this fish. I figured I would not go out of my way to get one, but if my LFS happened to get one in, (they said they rarely do) I would take it. Well, they had two yesterday and the price was well below what I've seen them for in the past so I had to buy it.

My main concern is invertebrates. I have the following list in QT almost done with their 75 days and will be ready to go into the DT next week:

1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (large size)
1 Blood Red Fire Shrimp (medium size)
4 Turbo Snails
4 Trochus Snails
2 Emerald Crabs

My options are as follows:

1: Get a 20 or 30 gallon tank and keep the cuc with a few small fish and they live happily ever after.
2: Put them in the DT and hope for the best.
3: See if my LFS will take them back, (and maybe get a small credit)

I really want them in my DT, but I have grown attached to them and even named the shrimp already. It would be horrible if they were eaten, but I hate to have to give them up so I am leaning toward either option 1 or 2.

My question, (and reason for this post) is...I know that there have to be people here that have either tried to or are successfully keeping a Harlequin Tusk with a cuc. If you are one of those people, are there any tips or tricks, (or horror stories) you can share to help me make a decision either way?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp will be goners... if you are attached to them, I would give them their own space (Have a refugium in your sump?) or take them back. I wish I still had the picture, but I had a pretty large cleaner shrimp with a pretty smallish tusk, and it was only maybe a week before he snatched it up...

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been debating on getting a Harlequin Tusk and have done my research on this fish. I figured I would not go out of my way to get one, but if my LFS happened to get one in, (they said they rarely do) I would take it. Well, they had two yesterday and the price was well below what I've seen them for in the past so I had to buy it.

My main concern is invertebrates. I have the following list in QT almost done with their 75 days and will be ready to go into the DT next week:

1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (large size)
1 Blood Red Fire Shrimp (medium size)
4 Turbo Snails
4 Trochus Snails
2 Emerald Crabs

My options are as follows:

1: Get a 20 or 30 gallon tank and keep the cuc with a few small fish and they live happily ever after.
2: Put them in the DT and hope for the best.
3: See if my LFS will take them back, (and maybe get a small credit)

I really want them in my DT, but I have grown attached to them and even named the shrimp already. It would be horrible if they were eaten, but I hate to have to give them up so I am leaning toward either option 1 or 2.

My question, (and reason for this post) is...I know that there have to be people here that have either tried to or are successfully keeping a Harlequin Tusk with a cuc. If you are one of those people, are there any tips or tricks, (or horror stories) you can share to help me make a decision either way?
Those are beautiful fish. Can you share pics?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are instances were a small tusk has coexisted with cleaner and blood shrimp that were in the tank first, but as @ngoodermuth 's experience attests, it also may not work.

I recommend seeing if your LFS will take them back for credit.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tusk I have ever had has decimated my shrimp, crabs, and urchins.......other than any existing cleaner shrimp that were in the tank first.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I wouldn’t risk it. Tusk are purpose built for eating inverts and are beyond likely to do the same in home aquaria.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty much what I thought and am consistently hearing from everyone, (even the LFS selling me the Tusk).

Thanks for the replies everyone! They are much appreciated.

I think I will end up putting the snails in the DT, but keeping the shrimp and crabs in QT until I figure out what to do with them.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are beautiful fish. Can you share pics?

The LFS is holding it until I pick it up later today so I don't have any pics yet, but I will post when I get it. It does have a bit of damage to it's tail fin, (and the reason I got it fairly cheap) but nothing that won't heal up pretty quick with a good diet, proper care and no Damsels to pick on it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 158 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back