Harlequin Tuskfish- Yay or Ney for Reef Tank?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a harlequin Tusk in my reef aquarium and there's absolutely zero problems with whoever at all he's never went after shrimp or anything he's a good 5 in
That's VERY uncharacteristic, haha. I had some big hermits that were a few years old. I still see the shells

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's VERY uncharacteristic, haha. I had some big hermits that were a few years old. I still see the shells
Yeah he's never ever went after a single hermit crab emerald crab anemone crab any of my shrimps be a cleaner shrimp or peppermint shrimp I keep them fat and healthy though why try to kill your food when it can be served to you on a silver platter

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a harlequin some years ago in a (mostly) fish only tank. He did well with the triggers, powder blue, fox-face, pygmy angels, everybody. I had a Jordan's tusk in with him for a few years, and they were fine with each other, but sadly Mr. Jordan turned up dead one day- no evidence of disease, aggression, old age. There was also a chocolate chip star and some cleaner shrimp in there, and though he never bothered the starfish, I did have to replace the cleaner shrimp every few months. I'd come home to find a couple of antennae lying on the substrate and know it was time to go off to buy a couple more amboinensis. He regularly availed himself of their services; I guess his appetite just got the better of him every so often.

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in a reef tank. Played nice with big and small fish introduced before it. New smaller fish became a meal. Didn't mess with corals. Snails would become a meal if overturned, hermits seemed to be fine.
my wife calls my harlequin a shark... not by its appearance but the behavior around food. Mine does the exact same- leave coral alone, eats snail if turned, bullies small fish, but leaves urchins & hermits alone.

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, mine is skiddish and has his hiding spot. If I want to get a good look at him, I need to sit on the chair for a few minutes and they all come out. It's frustrating, lol.
hands down one of the most difficult fish to photograph- if they are not hiding they are darting around non stop

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a harlequin some years ago in a (mostly) fish only tank. He did well with the triggers, powder blue, fox-face, pygmy angels, everybody. I had a Jordan's tusk in with him for a few years, and they were fine with each other, but sadly Mr. Jordan turned up dead one day- no evidence of disease, aggression, old age. There was also a chocolate chip star and some cleaner shrimp in there, and though he never bothered the starfish, I did have to replace the cleaner shrimp every few months. I'd come home to find a couple of antennae lying on the substrate and know it was time to go off to buy a couple more amboinensis. He regularly availed himself of their services; I guess his appetite just got the better of him every so often.
eating the doctor, it's a thing

Steve F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with the Tuskwrasse in a reef tank has been all positive. I purchased him from a lfs 8 years ago as a 1” juvenile. Today a robust 8” calm model citizen no aggression towards any fish including other wrasses. My reef is has a huge amount of live rock designed with many caves and areas where my fish can explore and hide if any of my 50 fish decide to be a jerk. My Tusk is my favorite and a great source of pride because I adopted him as a baby. I buy my fish as juveniles and qt. for 8 weeks in a 29 gal reef which mimics my 400. Any fish that might have a disease in my 29 is moved to 20 and medicated there. If it recovers I return it to my lfs store. My tusk was eating ravenously in the 29 and then moved to the the 400 where he happily resides to this day. Love my Tusk.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with Harlequin Tusk was tragic. I'd been wanting one for years. Finally bit the bullet and the one I got from Live Aquaria had velvet and wiped out 6 other fish in my 120. Very painful learning lesson.

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with the Tuskwrasse in a reef tank has been all positive. I purchased him from a lfs 8 years ago as a 1” juvenile. Today a robust 8” calm model citizen no aggression towards any fish including other wrasses. My reef is has a huge amount of live rock designed with many caves and areas where my fish can explore and hide if any of my 50 fish decide to be a jerk. My Tusk is my favorite and a great source of pride because I adopted him as a baby. I buy my fish as juveniles and qt. for 8 weeks in a 29 gal reef which mimics my 400. Any fish that might have a disease in my 29 is moved to 20 and medicated there. If it recovers I return it to my lfs store. My tusk was eating ravenously in the 29 and then moved to the the 400 where he happily resides to this day. Love my Tusk.
Your QT process is actually very interesting, I've never heard of anyone curing a sick fish then to return to the store!

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with Harlequin Tusk was tragic. I'd been wanting one for years. Finally bit the bullet and the one I got from Live Aquaria had velvet and wiped out 6 other fish in my 120. Very painful learning lesson.
Sorry to hear. Again you emphasize the importance of quarantine. Always quarantine new fish so that if anything happens, it's just that fish without taking down others with it.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sharing some pics.
P1010921.JPG
P1010922.JPG
P1020379.JPG
P1020621.JPG
P1020623.JPG
Tusk-who is that fish.JPG

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote yay, mine is a model citizen, with that said I also have 5 triggers in my reef tank who are also model citizens, they must all like there living quarters.
20201102_143215.jpg
20201007_205626.jpg
That tank is stuffed! what's your total volume? but it looks like your tusk isn't fully grown yet, some of them get a bit nastier as they grow. Though I doubt it can get nastier than the clown trigger. Those triggers tried to bite my fingers off!

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is stuffed! what's your total volume? but it looks like your tusk isn't fully grown yet, some of them get a bit nastier as they grow. Though I doubt it can get nastier than the clown trigger. Those triggers tried to bite my fingers off!
90g right now but as soon as I sell my extra boat I'm gonna use some of the money to get a 180g-225g. Hoping guy buys it Saturday so I can start the process as the new larger tank is going where this one is. Yes the Harlequin is a juvenile around 3 inches at most. As far as the triggers they are my favorite fish and have learned alot in the last 35+ years of having alot of different ones and how to handle them. Can't wait to get the bigger tank so I can add atleast another couple triggers.

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90g right now but as soon as I sell my extra boat I'm gonna use some of the money to get a 180g-225g. Hoping guy buys it Saturday so I can start the process as the new larger tank is going where this one is. Yes the Harlequin is a juvenile around 3 inches at most. As far as the triggers they are my favorite fish and have learned alot in the last 35+ years of having alot of different ones and how to handle them. Can't wait to get the bigger tank so I can add atleast another couple triggers.
build thread!

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
build thread!
Ya i didn't do one for my current tank but will for the new one. Although its not gonna be really interesting for most as I'm kinda set in how I've done things for the last 35+ years and don't have anything fancy like controllers, dosers, etc... I still do everything manually. But I like having full control over everything myself because it eliminates tank crashes if something goes wrong with some controller, doser, ato etc.. breaking down.

Steve F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your QT process is actually very interesting, I've never heard of anyone curing a sick fish then to return to the store!
I have over 50 fish in my reef and never had to treat the tank for any disease. I do not want to take any risk with a fish that has been treated. That is why I follow this protocol.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back