Harly shrimp question

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 19, 2021
Messages
3,847
Reaction score
2,374
Location
Long Island.... maybe north korea
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could they thrive with weekly feedings of a whole, live choco star? I was thinking of setting up a harly tank in the far future, and getting weekly shipments of choco stars.
 
They can be pretty voracious eaters when they want to be, If I had a consistent and reliable supply of stars, thats about what I would do. If nothing else Id hopefully get the chocos a decent size and just cut off a leg every day and feed it to them rather than one star a week.
 
I have 2 shrimp and I typically feed 1 choc chip starfish per month to them. They are in my sump.

They will munch on the starfish for a couple of weeks, then i pull the remains and let them go for another couple of weeks without. That has been my routine for the last 2 years.

A whole starfish is best IMHO. The legs don't last long and regardless of regenerative properties of the starfish, they do not grow back fast enough to keep harvesting legs enough to feed. Just my experience...I might just be impatient!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new