Has anyone converted a Reef Octopus 150int to run off of your return pump?

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to set up a new tank now and i wanted to run my skimmer off of my return pump. I have a ReefOctopus 150 with a bad pump (i know i can buy a replacement for the old pumps for reasonably cheap) and wanted to run it off of my DC return pump to reduce tree amount of heat generated in the sump (an issue i have in my current tank) if anyone has any experience i would much appreciate your input on what i need to get and where to get it (metric true union cuppling, venturi, etc) worst comes to worst ill habe to deal with the added heat but I'm trying to avoid it honestly.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to set up a new tank now and i wanted to run my skimmer off of my return pump. I have a ReefOctopus 150 with a bad pump (i know i can buy a replacement for the old pumps for reasonably cheap) and wanted to run it off of my DC return pump to reduce tree amount of heat generated in the sump (an issue i have in my current tank) if anyone has any experience i would much appreciate your input on what i need to get and where to get it (metric true union cuppling, venturi, etc) worst comes to worst ill habe to deal with the added heat but I'm trying to avoid it honestly.
what you have in your tank? how much heat can you possible have? I have the 150 and the pump went on it. I just bought another one for a few bucks. You can put the reef varios 6 on it if you have the money for it.

OP
OP
G

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 44 corner with a 10 gallon for a sump worth a skimmer a 550gph pump pushing 250 a fuge light 2 led light sets pushing a total of 34 watts and a 750 powerhead i had tried for 2 return pumps but i was overheating the tank (i live in Florida so it gets to 96 degrees outside so my ac is set to 78 during the day) i had to pull the second pump out because i was getting to 83 degrees during the day even with a fan helping cool through evaporation this cutting my turnover. So I'm just trying to prevent this and since I'm running a dc pump for future growth in the new tank i wanted to use it for the skimmer too.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back