Has anyone ever kept Pseudomugil signifer?

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if anyone has ever kept these in saltwater. Supposedly they are occasionally found in it in nature. Playing with the idea of a separate mangrove refugium for a future build. Something like one of those rubbermaid low 70 gallon stock tanks and thought a big school of these might fit well in that type of setup.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of them in marine aquariums but have never seen it myself. I imagine if you slowly bring up the salinity once you get them they'll do great. It'll be a bit of a pain since they are always sold as a freshwater fish so its gonna be a bit more work.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of them in marine aquariums but have never seen it myself. I imagine if you slowly bring up the salinity once you get them they'll do great

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of them in marine aquariums but have never seen it myself. I imagine if you slowly bring up the salinity once you get them they'll do great
Yeah, acclimation would definitely be a bit of work but nothing too burdensome. Basically using saltwater to replace evap in the QT should do the trick. It would be nice to have an active shoaling species zooming in and out of the mangrove roots. At least that's what I see in my head :)

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, acclimation would definitely be a bit of work but nothing too burdensome. Basically using saltwater to replace evap in the QT should do the trick. It would be nice to have an active shoaling species zooming in and out of the mangrove roots. At least that's what I see in my head :)
they're pretty hardy. Back in my petco days we used to be able to get them and they always did great and sold really well. You'll love them in a planted tank. Closest thing I have now is a 10 gallon with celebes rainbows

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real interesting, I haven't heard of these before, I had been looking into Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis, as it similarly can be found in freshwater to hypersaline environments. @mort suggested in this post where I brought them up that Pseudomugil might not be the best for a typical reef environment, but perhaps a dedicated tank like your proposed mangrove fuge would be better. Would love to hear updates if you try, or from others who have tried. I have been looking for a "neon tetra" for saltwater, and thought the Pseudomugil may have been a strong candidate until hearing from mort.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real interesting, I haven't heard of these before, I had been looking into Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis, as it similarly can be found in freshwater to hypersaline environments. @mort suggested in this post where I brought them up that Pseudomugil might not be the best for a typical reef environment, but perhaps a dedicated tank like your proposed mangrove fuge would be better. Would love to hear updates if you try, or from others who have tried. I have been looking for a "neon tetra" for saltwater, and thought the Pseudomugil may have been a strong candidate until hearing from mort.
Yeah I'm not sure how they would do in a full blown reef setup. Maybe they would be fine, I just don't known of anyone who has tried it.

I'll definitely document it if I do, but don't hold your breath. The first step is to remodel the building I have into a viable fishroom :) I would love to add a mangrove fuge(even just throwing a 40B together) to my existing system, but my sump couldn't handle the extra drain down volume during a power outage.

reefcubed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently I have come across this, and it appears they can be quite successful. I think it’s worth a shot. Start with a couple or a few, acclimate then slow as all hell, over a couple days, see how they do, then let loose! Keeping is posted!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back