Has anyone gotten a Roland demsel ?

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m on the fence about getting a couple of Roland demsel fish. My questions are
1 are they aggressive like domino , blue devil demsels .
2 are they like in the picture ( beautiful),or dull and drab .
There is a dozen or so Green cromis , springer, kupang , talbot Demsels already. You may have noted these are the least aggressive types.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Rollands
They are my only damsels in my 200 gal. Tank.
So I can't say how they will be with other damsels.
But they have been very peaceful in my tank.
Will chase eachother once in awhile but very seldom.

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 2 Rollands and 2 Azure. Started out with 3 of each. The rollands really ganged up on the third one while in a 20L QT tank so the third got taken to the LFS. The other 2 are now in my 160 and seem to largely ignore each other and every else. One lives in a rock on the far left and one dug out a hole under a rock on the far right. The one on the right will give anyone including the gravel vac a quick chase if the come near the entrance to his cave but only maybe 6 inches or so and then he retreats to his place. Very rarely they seem to acknowledge each other for a couple minutes but then they usually chase each other and then return to opposite sides.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few Rollands. Started out with 5 in quarantine. 4 made it to display. Then one by one they died off and now's there's only 1 left. They all lacked the yellow on top of their head like the pictures showed unfortunately. You'll be lucky if you get the ones that actually have the yellow. Mines were just black and white.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case any one searches Rolands, I went with a lot of comments that they are generally peaceful. I put one in a 120 with a lot of rocks and territories. It harassed my black mollie, royal gramma, blue chromis, and green chromis. It started out staying generally in one spot, then got into a routine of constantly doing laps around the tank like a shark, charging the four mentioned. He knew I was after him and would dive into the rock when ever I got within a couple feet of the tank. After two months I finally caught him by setting up a plexi partition along one side of the tank with one open end, and chasing him to that side with a high power strobing flash light just after lights out. He tried to flee towards that side, and made the mistake of going behind the partition. Once behind I blocked his exit, and netted him. That was the last damsel that will ever go in my tank.

OP
OP
Backreefing

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude that’s so annoying when fish are so hard to get . I twice have drained the entire aquarium into brute cans , then reach in and picked him up . Works every time. No water no running.
your Roland sounds like a jerk.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 48 59.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%

Back