Has anyone here tried the Core7 for NON-Triton Methods?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all:

I've been using the Triton 4-part supplements from the beginning. I tried to run a "full Triton method" for about 9 months at the beginning, but did not have great success. I have an AIO Red Sea Max 66 gallon, so I was not able to run a real Triton algae bed. Instead, I have been running Santa Monica Drop Algae scrubbers (which work well for me). I didn't have great success with no water changes (despite good ICP numbers from Triton testing), and suspect it might have had something to do with my undersized algae bed. Anyway, I resumed doing weekly water changes, and my tank picked back up and thrived. For whatever reason, full Triton didn't go well in my system, but Triton supplements along with my traditional tank husbandry did the trick. See below.

gzVu44J.jpg

I'm restarting my tank due to some discosoma that overtook everything, so I am reconsidering how I use Triton products. I see that they now have a Core7 for NON-Triton Methods, which is technically what I should use, given that I use water changes. Has anyone here had a similar experience as me, and has anyone tried the CORE7 for other methods? Does this formulation stay in stock at Triton US? I have had issues in the past with ordering Triton Core before I run out.

Thanks!

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the other methods, basically selecting triton over the other 2/3 part approaches.

If you start with dry rock (not live rock), I am a BIG fan of people running other methods until the tank matures (maybe 12 months). There were quite a few posts about this last year. Even if your intention is to do the full Triton method.

The only difference between the two is more "macro algae" encouraging ingredients in the regular, which I feel is a tad risky/unnecessary in brand new systems with dry rock.

BRS switched from Zeovit to Triton on BRS160, but that was a 16 month old systems.

Last edited:

Tombones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 3 years old and I used core 7 other methods while I was getting my sump ready for the full Triton. After getting my sump ready I continued using the other methods until it was gone but dosed iodine and iron. Both methods improved my sps corals tremendously. I am very impressed.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back