Has anyone tried growing corals on the front of the glass?

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it sounds crazy, but I just bought a new 30 pc magnetic frag rack and placed it on the front panel of my display just temporarily. Already I've noticed my fish love swimming and hovering underneath it right in front of the tank. It's really nice seeing the fish up close and being still right in the front. I'm sure they feel more protected and safe so why not try this with a small frag rack, but grow a few corals off of it protruding out to create a ledge for them to swim under. I'm thinking either montipora or tabling acros. The front of my tanks usually have a lot of open space in front so I figure a little shadowing won't hurt. Just a little eye sore of a magnet on the front, but the top down view I think would look amazing. Any other suggestions or photos of this approach? Plus more room for corals to grow right?

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I’ve heard some people grow corals on the back of the glass especially if they are quick spreaders,
Like blue star polyps and green star polyps.you could place your montipora plate on the back as well , but you would have to keep an eye on it growing outwards by trimming it to keep it back. Hope that’s given you another option

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People actually do this... I do not on the front glass. But none the less a decent lime in the sky stag and a rainbow torch on a magnet. My rainbow torch spawned yielding randomly placed babies that’s one of them lol. I’ve always had some sps on magnets I like the ability easily move them around fill dead space and give the floating corAl effect lol!

Old config.
66FE60CD-FF67-4B50-81FD-32A1072753FD.jpeg

Currently. This is the best picture of magnet stag (picture taken right after I redid it there’s still a bunch just laying around it looks better now!)
781F5337-EB1C-46D5-84BC-B36CEA89A2F9.jpeg

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you let your frag plugs rest on the bottom of the tank they can encrust and start growing really nicely. I let the coralline algae grow on my viewing panes because I'm lazy, old, and enjoy looking from the top down. So I have a few encrusting on the bottom, and once they hit a viewpane they will start to grow up and obscure the view like others have mentioned and it will be similar to what is happening in my tank with coralline algae
AAAaaa IMG_0228.jpg

The frag front and center is encrusting, and you can just see the edge of another pancake colony that it is competing with. The second colony is 1/2 inch up the front panel (not shown) but it looks like the coralline that is shown.

Most people don't like this look, and they are welcome to come scrape the coralline algae anytime by appointment.

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
If you let your frag plugs rest on the bottom of the tank they can encrust and start growing really nicely. I let the coralline algae grow on my viewing panes because I'm lazy, old, and enjoy looking from the top down. So I have a few encrusting on the bottom, and once they hit a viewpane they will start to grow up and obscure the view like others have mentioned and it will be similar to what is happening in my tank with coralline algae
AAAaaa IMG_0228.jpg

The frag front and center is encrusting, and you can just see the edge of another pancake colony that it is competing with. The second colony is 1/2 inch up the front panel (not shown) but it looks like the coralline that is shown.

Most people don't like this look, and they are welcome to come scrape the coralline algae anytime by appointment.
I love this post! You do things your way buddy! You like things how you like things. Don’t ever change that.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back