Has anyone tried the new BRS “Fiji sun” spectrum

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched the wrap up video from BRS where they discussed the importance of blanketing coral with light like the sky blankets real reefs. Basically saying that we’ve focused too much on the sun when it comes to developing LED’s for the hobby rather than focusing or replicating the sky.

they showed a spectrum meant to mimic the Fiji sIt was as follows:

UV: 90%
Violet: 90%
Royal blue: 25%
blue: 100%
green: 10%
red: 20%
warm white: 75%
cool white: 15%

has anyone tried this yet or already run something similar? Curious what your thoughts are.

i believe they based it on Radions but I think I can closely mimic it with my Hydras

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sales hype! Coral zooxanthellae doesn't do photosynthesis by skylight, it has to be pretty bright sun. IMHO, this id just a sales pitch and nothing more.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sales hype! Coral zooxanthellae doesn't do photosynthesis by skylight, it has to be pretty bright sun. IMHO, this id just a sales pitch and nothing more.

I'm not sure I agree with the sales pitch thing, since none of the lights they tested covered the wide blue band particularly well, especially without MAJOR tweaking.

I would also agree 100% with the "blanket of light" approach. SPS tanks and T5s have been proving that theory for years.

To the OP: I've been running the widest blue band on the market (LuxEngine) for 2 years now. My results have been pretty stellar, so I'll keep doing it. If you can meet your tank's PAR needs with the new settings, give it a try for a few months and see how it works out for you.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with both points actually. I agree more emphasis should be placed on wavelengths in the blue and green spectrum besides 450 nm royal blue because most lights are overpowered there anyway. Blanket of light coverage with sufficient par and more attention paid to 420-430nm and 480-500nm is a good thing. And it is also a sales pitch. Though they willfully admit the light that is being hyped is poorly designed spectrum wise and they’re suggesting to turn down one of the dominant channels.

I’ve mentioned it before on other threads, but I began experimenting with turning down my royal blues a good bit, and turning up my 420, 480, and 520nm diodes, with the whites cranked to max and it has been an overwhelming success. Corals responded favorably and have shown a noticeable increase in growth rate. There has been a color shift. I can’t say for better or worse, but different. More natural. More t5 like. Some would enjoy it, some don’t care for it. The increase in the green/cyan range actually accentuates reds and oranges, but tends to mute blue and green fluorescence a touch

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got in on the beta test for LuxEngine 2 years ago, and I've been running their pucks on 2 tanks since then. The spectrum mix I run on my pucks is called "Ultra Blue". Here's a spectrum graph with the BRS "Biology Band" (410-484nm) highlighted.

FB_IMG_1683386000354.jpg

This is with the "Gold" pucks. They've also released a "Cyan" puck that fills in more around the 490nm range. I've got one on order to try out.

I think BRS is on the right track, but I think the "Biology Band" needs to be wider. More in the 400-490nm range as the benefitial chlorophyl absorption range goes lower than their 410nm (actually 397nm), and the carotenoid benefit from more light in the 490nm range.

I'm in the process of setting up a new mixed reef that'll be SPS heavy running 3x Hydra 26HDs, so I'm trying to decide which pucks to run on that tank.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically saying that we’ve focused too much on the sun when it comes to developing LED’s for the hobby rather than focusing or replicating the sky.
That's all marketing, designed to snare the unsuspecting. Sounds good, lots of selective facts sprinkled in to drive home points. But don't fall for it.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's all marketing, designed to snare the unsuspecting. Sounds good, lots of selective facts sprinkled in to drive home points. But don't fall for it.

received_997994048250114.jpeg

Yeah. All marketing BS! That is nothing like the full "sun" spectrum.

I'm all about giving coral everything they need to grow, while highlighting certain things that make them nicer to look at (IMO) too.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back