Acropora Spectrum on Hydra 64 HD (x3)

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 120 gal has transitioned to a fully stocked SPS/acro tank. I just switched my lighting from 2 AP9x to 3 Hydra 64 HD lights. I wanted the greater spread and blanket of light that the Kessil APs could not provide. With the transition came the ability to customize the spectrum and schedule in much greater detail, since the Kessel's basically lock the spectrum up and only allow for blue/white change per preference.
I looked through to signature templates and also watched the BRS videos on this nearly identical set up. But im hung up on providing the optimal biological light source possible having this freedom to customize. I own a PAR meter so I can get the intensity adjusted per my scape and levels of focus, so that's not my issue.

To me, full spectrum is ideal for acropora, but from what I have read the term "full spectrum" can be identified in various ways. For now, before I hit save and forget it, I have all channels set at 100%. I did exclude my ramp up hours and nighttime viewing hours in which I set specific to what I find makes the tank appealing. From what I have read, the biggest complaint on this is the white being set so high. It certainly does give more of a T5 look, but just like functioning adults, these are during "working" hours.

Since this convo has been discussed prior, without a great level of resolve from what I have seen. Im looking for whatever input others have to offer, since my end game is a healthier, happier acro colony.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having great luck in my mixed tank with this schedule on my two Hydra 26HDs with diffusors (I also run an actinic Vitamini strip along side it). Guessing similar spectrum on your 64HDs would work. I would definitely say it is full spectrum. I’m getting 270 par at the top of my rocks with the lights mounted 12” off the water.

Attachments

• IMG_5946.png
    IMG_5946.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5866.jpeg
    IMG_5866.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 26

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back