Has anyone used the Samsung 301H EVO Leds yet?

CayeCaulker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading about the Samsung 301H LEDs that are designed specifically for horticulture. They are quite an improvement over the already highly efficient 301B Leds.

I was wondering if anyone has used these yet.

ArachnoJoozt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like for a refugium? The spectrum used for horticultule and reef lighting differ quite a lot from each other. I would't see another use for them other than a refugium (and probably way overkill for that)

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you’re meaning for a DIY light fixture, I haven’t heard of anyone in the hobby using them yet, but I’ve been looking into the possibility of using them too.

From what I can tell, outside of the hobby, the difference in efficiency is small enough (~5% when tested from what I’ve read) that a lot of people consider the 301b to be the same product as the 301h just rebranded for marketing purposes (though the 301h also has improved sulfur resistance to keep in functioning longer in a horticultural setting - I don’t know how much of a role sulfur plays in a marine aquarium, so I don’t know if that would be useful in this setting or not).

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you’re meaning for a DIY light fixture, I haven’t heard of anyone in the hobby using them yet, but I’ve been looking into the possibility of using them too.

From what I can tell, outside of the hobby, the difference in efficiency is small enough (~5% when tested from what I’ve read) that a lot of people consider the 301b to be the same product as the 301h just rebranded for marketing purposes (though the 301h also has improved sulfur resistance to keep in functioning longer in a horticultural setting - I don’t know how much of a role sulfur plays in a marine aquarium, so I don’t know if that would be useful in this setting or not).
Looking at the data sheets and knowing " bin matters" I don't see anything " special" from the b version without a cherry picked bin.
Nice they report by ppf not lumens though.

I will continue my " crusade" that 70-80 cri bins should not be used anywhere except closet lighting ect
Once you hit 90cri your efficiency drops anyways.
Evo do not come in 90 plus cri btw.
80cri
The " mint white" is err interesting.
Still have the awful cyan droop across the lot
Screenshot_20231030-105023.png

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back