Has the tank cycled??

mikey1958

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New 75 gal that I have done a fishless cycle using 10 lbs of live sand..I was a guest of the local hospital the night I added water..Tank has been running for a little more than 3 weeks without me around..I checked parameters night before last, 0 nitrates and nitrites, .25 on ammonia...Today I ran test again, 0 across the board...is the tank cycled and ready forca couple of fish?

IMG_20230301_213800435.jpg

FurrierTransform

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think so; when you add fish, you might add (as you say) not more than a couple of fish and continue to check ammonia, etc. I'm thinking that a bit more ammonia and other stuff may be needed to help grow the beneficial bacteria to a useful population. You haven't (possibly) given your tank enough of a bio-load to grow the bacteria.

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prior to leaving the tank to run solo, did you add anything as an ammonia source? Fishless tank cycle, bottled bacteria with ammonium? A piece of shrimp or fish food? If you didn’t introduce anything to start the cycle, I wouldn’t wager it’s complete yet. Zero nitrate is concerning if it’s cycled. There would be some, even in low amounts.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New 75 gal that I have done a fishless cycle using 10 lbs of live sand..I was a guest of the local hospital the night I added water..Tank has been running for a little more than 3 weeks without me around..I checked parameters night before last, 0 nitrates and nitrites, .25 on ammonia...Today I ran test again, 0 across the board...is the tank cycled and ready forca couple of fish?

IMG_20230301_213800435.jpg
How many ppm of ammonia did you initially add?

OP
OP
mikey1958

mikey1958

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prior to leaving the tank to run solo, did you add anything as an ammonia source? Fishless tank cycle, bottled bacteria with ammonium? A piece of shrimp or fish food? If you didn’t introduce anything to start the cycle, I wouldn’t wager it’s complete yet. Zero nitrate is concerning if it’s cycled. There would be some, even in low amounts.
I used 10 lbs of live sand. Nothing else because I got sick that night

Phil Steel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it hasn't cycled yet as no ammonia was introduced and you haven't gone through the necessary spike or levelling out yet - you might need to go through the process again, but I'll let others chime inhere.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0. I used 10 lbs of live sand..I got sick shortly thereafter
If you did not add ammonia and observe its disappearance, there is no way to tell whether the live sand is “live” and the aquarium cycled

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add some fish food or even better ammonium chloride and try it out. I personally like adding a bottle of cycling bacteria in since usually you can just plop a fish in right away unless its a tiny tank.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add some fish food or even better ammonium chloride and try it out. I personally like adding a bottle of cycling bacteria in since usually you can just plop a fish in right away unless its a tiny tank.
I haven’t started a new tank in so long I almost forget how to ….
I’ve always dropped a raw shrimp in and let it decompose .
when it was gone I started adding fish

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
0. I used 10 lbs of live sand..I got sick shortly thereafter
Typically you want to add your bacteria and then ammonia chloride or a piece of shrimp (shrimp for 48 hours). Then you want to monitor ammonia , When your ammonia is steady at zero for 5 days and Nitrate is steady at 20 or below- You are cycled. Ignore nitrIte Unless sky high
The tank will go through two phases in which ammonia will rise then fall and nitrate will rise and fall which is normal. When fish are added, the bacteria population will increase with the new bio load, converting waste to nitrate.
Overloading tank with too many fish up front will exceed what the bacteria can handle which is why its best to stock fish slowly over the next few months
What test kits are you using ?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically you want to add your bacteria and then ammonia chloride or a piece of shrimp (shrimp for 48 hours). Then you want to monitor ammonia , When your ammonia is steady at zero for 5 days and Nitrate is steady at 20 or below- You are cycled. Ignore nitrIte Unless sky high
The tank will go through two phases in which ammonia will rise then fall and nitrate will rise and fall which is normal. When fish are added, the bacteria population will increase with the new bio load, converting waste to nitrate.
Overloading tank with too many fish up front will exceed what the bacteria can handle which is why its best to stock fish slowly over the next few months
Why would nitrates be <20 ?
I’ve always had nitrates exceeding 20-40ppm right after cycling which a large water change corrected and reduced them

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Why would nitrates be <20 ?
I’ve always had nitrates exceeding 20-40ppm right after cycling which a large water change corrected and reduced them
When < or below in conjunction with zero ammonia STEADY, = safe for addition of fish. In essense its not unsafe for fish but after adding ammonia source, its a safe indicator for stocking

OP
OP
mikey1958

mikey1958

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back