Has your Rimless tank ever EXPLODED??

ReefNerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rimless tank are becoming ever more popular in the reefing hobby and their are a myriad of choices out there!

However with the ever increasing sizes and physics defying builds how much do you trust that strip of silicon?

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started my first rimless build. A 200xl. I know there are much much larger rimless tanks but having kids, and looking in at the caulking holding together the tank. It scares me lol. I don't think my anxiety could handle a bigger tank without the bracing. That said mine also sits on hardwood floors... I would die lol

Mjp83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

There was one recent post of a 525XL splitting at one side seam shooting water across the room! But it did not fail. In that thread others have chimed in that Red Sea is prone to have silicone adhesion issues.
I myself have an early version of the 525XL (12085), and it sat dry since being built until last week. Am I worried, absolutely, as I swapped tank for this very reason: New house, new floor, new tank! My 120 gallon tank (Oceanic), at my last house was 20+ yrs old and used when I got it.
My concern is with the front glass, it is bowed out ever so slightly.

My bud in Florida has a 425 since 2015 ish, and it’s going strong. 7C1B2BAF-4FB0-416F-9992-84DD11558A6D.jpeg

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only ever had one rimless tank, and I didn't like it... got rid of it after a few months. So no I've never had one blow apart.

OP
OP
ReefNerd

ReefNerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

There was one recent post of a 525XL splitting at one side seam shooting water across the room! But it did not fail. In that thread others have chimed in that Red Sea is prone to have silicone adhesion issues.
I myself have an early version of the 525XL (12085), and it sat dry since being built until last week. Am I worried, absolutely, as I swapped tank for this very reason: New house, new floor, new tank! My 120 gallon tank (Oceanic), at my last house was 20+ yrs old and used when I got it.
My concern is with the front glass, it is bowed out ever so slightly.

My bud in Florida has a 425 since 2015 ish, and it’s going strong. 7C1B2BAF-4FB0-416F-9992-84DD11558A6D.jpeg

Keep an eye on the seals, in general a small amount of bowing is fine, but if you start to see discoloration or 'bubbles' in any of the silicon seals.... act fast!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back