Have any of you used Berghia Nudibranches before?

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20230426_183925192.jpg

I found 4 more hanging around behind my filter floss away from the light. I was told if they are white they are starving. They had some faint yellow tips so I used the pipette and grabbed three of them and placed them near some zoa gardens that have bad aiptasia. Each one is a slightly different spot probably no more than 4 inches away from each other.

My stupid tailspot blenny thought it would be cool to bite the first one I put in. I was told they DON'T do that to berghia but he didn't go after him again. I guess he didn't like the taste and that berghia kept moving into the zoas until he vanished.

They are about .75 inches. Not as big as my fatty that I see roaming sometimes.

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We put 8 tiny Berghia in a seriously infested 110g system on Jan 3. For 2 months I was 100% sure that this was just one more expensive failure. Mid-March we saw one 1/2” one on the glass after moving a rock. All that week we checked in the middle of the night counting them. About a week after the first sighting, we counted 9 and knew we were ok. Haha!

It was a solid 3 months before there was a noticeable reduction in Aiptasia but just this week they look almost completely gone in that tank.

The last 2 weeks we grabbed 5-10 at a time to put in our other tanks and sell.

I have read that when the aiptasia is truly gone, they will come out during the day and be very white instead of beige-tan because they are hungry.

We live near and work in a large metro area where it’s easy to sell bunches of them so the plan is to fill the waitlist as the little guys start showing up hungry. May be a while yet since the overflow and sump are still infested.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it looks like all my aiptasia is gone now.

I am waiting for the bigger nudibranches to come out so I can give them away.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I came here and understood what aiptasia are I made the rookie mistakes of using chemicals to remove them. (Aiptasia X/F/Joes Juice)

So by the time I understood to chisel and gouge them out of the rocks outside of the tank I had already done the damage. Tank is outbreak mode.

Little over two weeks ago I put some berghia nudirbanches in my 25 gallon tank. I ordered 4 at .25 inches and they gave me 8. They said you have to wait up to 3 weeks to see the results. I think after 3 days I saw one nudibranch hanging out on the rocks but he vanished after that. I feel like I have seen some aiptasia go missing but I am not sure if I am imagining it.

I have no predators in the tank that will hurt them and gave them a tad longer acclimation process. I am sort of desperate that they get the job done. I had a peppermint shrimp once but my skunk cleaner shrimp would lunge at him and freak him out. I was going to remove the skunk and bring him to the work tank but the peppermint got stressed and died. Too bad cause he was eating aiptasia.

I am now anticipating how many people here tell me the nudibranches were a waste of money.

You're not imagining it, they are disappearing. Give it time you'll be free in no time.

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Takes a while to start seeing a drastic reduction, depending on how may you start with and how heavy the infestation is. But once they start reproducing its 2 weeks for eggs to hatch.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back