Have you ever loss a coral for no reason?

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torch that I had was doing well one day, and the next few days it would not open as much and eventually all its flesh receded and after a few days it looked completely dead! I checked all water parameters, no brown jelly or other pests that might have caused this. All other corals are doing 100% fine.

The tank has 2 clowns and some snails - unless the emerald crab is the culprit, I'm at a lost. Is this something that can happen, which is so mysterious why corals perish.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone in the hobby has. We dont have alot of reasons why it happens but, imo, I beleive many are bacterial.
I'm a year and a half into the hobby, so there's much still to learn - when you say bacteria, it makes me wonder where these 'bad' bacteria comes from if in fact that's what it is.....I haven't introduce any new corals or anything new for months now.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a year and a half into the hobby, so there's much still to learn - when you say bacteria, it makes me wonder where these 'bad' bacteria comes from if in fact that's what it is.....I haven't introduce any new corals or anything new for months now.
There's just as much bad bacteria in our systems as good. The coral first has to be susceptible for other reasons before an infection can take hold. Coral can't just die for no reason its simply impossible.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The emerald crab could have picked at it and caused stress.
Could be light, flow, or a number of things. Was it one head, a colony? Tank pick will help.

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been told that trumpet coral is nearly indestructible. Well, for whatever reason, mine it's dying. Paremeters are good. I can keep torches, anemones, Duncans, mushrooms, etc., but can't keep a little trumpet coral alive. Unfortunately, most reef keepers will experience this. Sorry, friend. :confused:

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure have, everything will be doing fine and bam a coral just starts to die for no reason. Happens to everyone
The law of cause and affect does apply to our reef tanks as well. If it didn't we wouldn't be having this conversation and R2R would likely not exist.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back