Have you ever taken things from the Ocean to put in your tank?

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decades ago I ran a temperate cool water So. Cal. biotope aquarium where everything was hand caught. The part friends and family enjoyed the most was the added on tank that I would stock with lobsters (during season) for weekend BBQs. ;Drool

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I setup my first tank many, many years ago I brought home a cooler of sand from the beach while on vacation I struggled to carry it back to the car, I apparently never considered how heavy a cooler of wet sand would be, my wife was not happy. Once I got back to my apartment I decided to boil the sand in a pot on the stove, you know to kill hitchhikers. It splashed sand water everywhere, my landlord was not happy.
Oh to be young, broke , and stupid again.

kcschwabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have lots of Texas gulf critters including two blue crabs that’s were smaller than a dime when I caught them she gets out of the tank a lot .... here’s one of her the other day and one when she was super tiny

Attachments

• EDD84B52-1A32-4FF6-9CBD-E4E6E2E1FA5E.jpeg
    EDD84B52-1A32-4FF6-9CBD-E4E6E2E1FA5E.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 240
  • 13A96B49-FCB7-45B0-AC06-9CFB3E89C117.jpeg
    13A96B49-FCB7-45B0-AC06-9CFB3E89C117.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 238

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brought a couple nerite snails back from the bahamas in the waterproof case for my mask...survived the trip just fine but crawled out of the tank and vanished

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started my tank everything came from the sea. The rocks, coral (which was dead at that time)

Barnacles, fish, crabs, shrimp, horseshoe crabs, urchins and anything I could find that was alive and small enough I put in my tank.
The water I still collect in the sea and of course amphipods.

I once had an urchin collection business where I would SCUBA for urchins. I went to the environmental protection agency for an urchin collection permit and they said to me,
"Whats an urchin"? so I figured I didn't need a permit. :rolleyes:

<----------------<<<< My avitar is a local New York hermit crab that was about half an inch long. Very common at one time here but not any more. I took that picture at night on a lobster dive.

This guy.

These guys and dozens of pipefish and seahorses.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i was on LI i kept a 30 long with an undergravel filter in the 80's...all local stuff...hermits,kept 2 seahorses on different occasions....kept a killie trap in the canal behind my shop and put in whatever i found...if i couldnt get it to eat i'd just throw it back after a week...grass shrimp were great scavengers...very active and didnt hide... i wish i had some now

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back