Having issues with ultra low phosphorous test

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Hanna ultra low phosphorous test and always found it accurate until very recently. Now I’m getting weird high readings when I know it’s close to zero so I restest to confirm. Like today, my first reading was 78 followed by the next 2 tests at 0 and 2. Seems to be an every time I test now the first one is way out. My testing is no different than I do each time. I have also tried repeating the test with the same vial using a new vial of tank water and that comes in as expected. Anyone else have issues like this. Getting tired of having to repeat 2 or 3 times because I can’t trust the first one. Also we’re not talking within normal accuracy. Like today it can be 28 followed by two o’s or 18 followed by a 0 and 3. Could the meter be going bad?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Hanna ultra low phosphorous test and always found it accurate until very recently. Now I’m getting weird high readings when I know it’s close to zero so I restest to confirm. Like today, my first reading was 78 followed by the next 2 tests at 0 and 2. Seems to be an every time I test now the first one is way out. My testing is no different than I do each time. I have also tried repeating the test with the same vial using a new vial of tank water and that comes in as expected. Anyone else have issues like this. Getting tired of having to repeat 2 or 3 times because I can’t trust the first one. Also we’re not talking within normal accuracy. Like today it can be 28 followed by two o’s or 18 followed by a 0 and 3. Could the meter be going bad?

Are you rinsing the cuvettes before testing with either distillers or RO/DI?

OP
OP
rob safron

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I do rinse the used vial with tap first really well then rinse with RODI and let dry. Before testing I fill and empty twice with tank water. I use a micro fiber cloth to clean before testing. And the times I tried testing the same sample using a new vial of tank water for the zero, I did not reclean and the test came back where it should be.

OP
OP
rob safron

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also always zero and test with the vial in the exact same position.

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having this happen too Lately. Kinda stopped using it cause I don’t trust it anymore. Was great when I first got it

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back