Hawaii fish ban

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have we gotten any updates on the Hawaii fish ban? Been looking for a yellow tang, and flame angel until recently when I learned about the ban. Anyone got any update?
Why not source Flame Angels from elsewhere if there's enough of a demand? I'd expect there would be high demand because they're so beautiful.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have we gotten any updates on the Hawaii fish ban? Been looking for a yellow tang, and flame angel until recently when I learned about the ban. Anyone got any update?
Why not one of the other Dwarf Angelfish? There are many to chose from, a lot easier to keep and cheaper.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only imagine the amounts of money I'd make if I were allowed to catch a few yellow tangs and sell them.

I will definitely be collecting one for my personal tank when it's mature enough though

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 has a big article on this with all updates. Get a yellow from biota, very bright and fun tangs! This is mine. Seen a lot of things about how “dull” they look so was skeptical but my dude colored up so nice and is a little highlighter swimming around in my tank! Great alternative to wild caught. @Biota_Marine :)

Attachments

• IMG_2825.jpeg
    IMG_2825.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 85

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy a captive bred yellow tang. It is the same fish but more ethical.
Agree, love my captive bread. I wish we were there with all our favorite fish!

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I signed a petition for removal of the ban. Apparently it is coming up for review because of all jobs lost to native Hawaiians and studies showing No overfishing issues. I can’t remember where I saw the petition, I receive Shark Research newsletters, it might have been there.
Debra

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I signed a petition for removal of the ban. Apparently it is coming up for review because of all jobs lost to native Hawaiians and studies showing No overfishing issues. I can’t remember where I saw the petition, I receive Shark Research newsletters, it might have been there.
Debra
Depending on the area that you collect, I know that recently it's been allowed to collect a number (6 if I remember correctly) of fish from an approved list for personal use within a 24 hour period.

Personally I don't see the ban being completely removed, the best that people can hope for is that it'll be opened again to certain species but even then it'll likely be highly regulated and the amounts allowed to be collected will be in low numbers.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred is nice, but $300 for something not much larger than a quarter is a bit much for folks. Until pricing drops I think most of us are happy with our alternative Tangs.
Pretty much this, it's either $300+ or buy a friend a plate lunch to see if he can find one for me while he spearfishes

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred is nice, but $300 for something not much larger than a quarter is a bit much for folks. Until pricing drops I think most of us are happy with our alternative Tangs.
Where are you paying $300? They are nearly half the price at $165 in stock right now.

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debra
I don't believe the issue was ever overfishing, even if it was marketed at that. People don't usually say it in the aquarium community.. but the Hawaiin people don't want us in their waters collecting fish. Are we entitled to them? I don't think so. While Hawaii was one of the best in their fish care, the amount of DOAs from wild caught marine fish is absolutely disgusting.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe the issue was ever overfishing, even if it was marketed at that. People don't usually say it in the aquarium community.. but the Hawaiin people don't want us in their waters collecting fish. Are we entitled to them? I don't think so. While Hawaii was one of the best in their fish care, the amount of DOAs from wild caught marine fish is absolutely disgusting.
In general, you're gonna find that any kind of resource being taken away from the natives is going to be met with a lot of backlash.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read, locals can fish for food. It was noted the environmental impact studies performed indicated no issues. Apparently it’s native Hawaiians who made a living collecting these fish for the aquatic trade that are out of work.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read, locals can fish for food. It was noted the environmental impact studies performed indicated no issues. Apparently it’s native Hawaiians who made a living collecting these fish for the aquatic trade that are out of work.
Yeah, we can collect for consumption up to a certain amount and on certain species. I will say though, local fishing compared to commercial fishing have two very different effects on the environment, so if the studies performed were based on the findings from local catch and take then it's not really going to be accurate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back