HD bucket as Refugium

JDubb_4051

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried this?

My thought...tee of my return to HD bucket set up with a uniseal that will serve as my overflow back into the return chamber of my sump. Fuge light hanging over it. Autoaqua smart level above overflow to shut off return pump if level gets too high.

I think this will be a temporary option (6 months maybe)

Background...I have an icecap sump. I was planning to repurpose the ATO reservoir for a fuge however the small hole at the top is barely enough for an overflow to create any flow and I get nervous about relying on a pump to empty. I have a pump in their now essentially balancing flow from return pump and then flow out of fuge is a slippery slope with too many variables. Would rather have 1 method to adjust flow.

I also worry the ATO chamber (being 3 gallons and extremely narrow at roughly 8x8) isn't the best option at the moment

Boltline

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have apex? Get a leak detector. Best investment I've made- they have cheap wifi ones on amazon as well. Over the last few years I've been woken up in the middle of the night due to a leak and have had to spring out of bed in sheer panic!

OP
OP
JDubb_4051

JDubb_4051

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have apex? Get a leak detector. Best investment I've made- they have cheap wifi ones on amazon as well. Over the last few years I've been woken up in the middle of the night due to a leak and have had to spring out of bed in sheer panic!

I don’t yet but kinda wished I ponied up for one sooner. For now I bought an Autoaqua level shutoff that will milk the return pump if the level gets too high and I also added a suction screen to hopefully further mitigate the risk of it getting clogged

At this point I’m still at a golf ball size chaeto and don’t expect it to grow much until I pull my fish from QT. Heck...I’m going to wait to add my skimmer at this point. My nitrate is already low.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using something like a 5g bucket as a remote refugium is a great idea. You will have the benefits of having a fuge with the ability to take it off line easily should problems arise.

OP
OP
JDubb_4051

JDubb_4051

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! I managed to pick up an Apex at RAP so I’ll have a greater piece of mind. Fuge has been running but only added livestock to DT yesterday so I’m guessing it will start growing soon

OP
OP
JDubb_4051

JDubb_4051

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the bucket. Repurposing the sump ATO kept me awake a few nights. Level is still high because of the uni seal hole for overflow but I’ll take another 3-4 gallons of volume. I bought the autoaqua smart level but then upgraded to Apex.

ReefEsq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the bucket. Repurposing the sump ATO kept me awake a few nights. Level is still high because of the uni seal hole for overflow but I’ll take another 3-4 gallons of volume. I bought the autoaqua smart level but then upgraded to Apex.
I'm planning on how to build one if I PM you can I ask you some random questions about what you used and related nonsense?

OP
OP
JDubb_4051

JDubb_4051

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on how to build one if I PM you can I ask you some random questions about what you used and related nonsense?

Of course. Here’s a pic as well. Full disclosure this is my first tank and the chaeto hasn’t grown yet (livestock just added to extremely low nutrient tank)

07b2c8c35789aab1d530947b41877490.jpg

Back