Heading to Hawaii this week! Suggestions

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking for suggestions of things to see and do while we're there. We're staying on the big Island for 2 weeks. We already have a significant amount of time planned in Volcanoes National park. I'm planning on looking for excellent photo opportunities as my main focus while there. Obviously we'll be doing some snorkeling and kayaking, maybe surfing, but I'm pretty darned out of shape right now!
Any reef related places to see? I wish we had time to check out the Waikiki Aquarium on Ohau, but it will have to wait until next time.

Any suggestions welcome!

OP
OP
hatfielj

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha! I hear you. I've been working so much the last couple of months that I'm having a hard time even thinking about going on a vacation right now. And we're leaving friday! I'm just planning on going with the flow and taking it easy I guess. We usually like to plan crazy adventures when we go to new places, but for this one I'm just going to chill. We are going to do a 3 day backpacking/camping trip in Volcanoes Nat'l Park though. Should be nice setting up a tent on the beach:)
I wish I had an underwater camera housing ($$$) so I could take pics while snorkeling, but I think I'll just plan on taking it all in and leave the camera behind. I'm pretty pumped about getting to see some of our hobby's fish and corals in their natural environment for the first time. The only place I've ever snorkeled before is the Caribbean.
If I can find a cave to live in, I might not come back!

jgarza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have a GoPro I would recommend getting one! They are amazing for a place like Hawaii. When I went this past September it was my best friend. I took that thing everywhere I went! I was able to get up close and personal with a few sea turtles and some amazing fish. I'll try and post some pics of my vacation to give you an example.

tanklife3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiking! You have to go hiking wile your there!!! North shore area is the best

ygon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do not leave big island without doing Mauna Kea. It's like going to Mars, it's wild. You'll need to rent 4 wheel drive if you want to do it on your own.

Wrassemussen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kailua-Kona side has some great snorkeling. I don't know how things are in the winter, but snorkeling in Kahalu'u Beach Park during the summer was a lot of fun. Great variety of fish.

Apparently, snorkeling in Kealakekua Bay near the Capt. Cook Monument is some of the best on the Big Island, but getting there is a little tricky. You have to hike or kayak in to the bay.

There are manta ray night snorkels in Kona. I never went, but they are very popular.

If you're in the mood for something a little educational, there is the Friends of NELHA Grand Tour and the Ocean Rider Seahorse Farm Tour at the NELHA facilities. Pricey, but interesting.

Good luck, have fun and say hi to this guy for me if you see him :D!

IMG_0604.jpg

OP
OP
hatfielj

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that looks incredible! Thanks for the link!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! I was just there last October and have a lot to add here, but I'm out of time at the moment. I'm posting here so I don't forget to come back to this later! :)
Crap! Guess what I forgot to do; hope I'm not too late here!

So we were there for 4 days and did a lot, but still had some nice downtime too. We took one day to make a big loop around the whole island. Now this was a full day; leaving the resort by 7 AM and not getting back until 8 PM, but it was totally worth it. We were staying on the Kona side, so this is a big clockwise loop around the island. Things we did along the way (I would add my pictures here but those are at home, on the home computer...):
Waipio Valley Look Out - It's worth it - awesome view and worthy of some incredible photos if you do photography.
Akaka Falls - Another must see. Breathtaking. Camera required!
Hilo - worth driving through and stopping for a bit if you're staying on the Kona side. We were told to hit Rainbow falls just around the corner, but we did end up skipping that.
Volcanoes Park - Sounds like you have this covered. You'll have about a 14 mile hike to actually see Lava though. We spent a few hours in the park and saw 4 of the main attractions.
Punaluu County Beach Park (blank sand beach) - Worth the stop. Beautiful and a good chance at seeing turtles near the center of the beach. And you'll find the Nae nae goose near the ponds at the east end
South Point - One of my favorite sites there, but it's a bit off the beaten path for sure. Don't try to take a rental past the end of the paved road; just pull off to the left where the asphalt ends. The actual south point is just past the blinking light and straight inline with the stone wall that's there. Most people mistakenly think it's the cliffs off to the right. We were here around sunset and it was amazing. The surge and the surf was incredible, each a good 10-15 feet! (and not some place you'd want to get in the water)

We already have a significant amount of time planned in Volcanoes National park.
I'm sure you've done the research, but I would have loved to have done the Iki Trail had we had the time.

I'm planning on looking for excellent photo opportunities as my main focus while there.
Good. :) See those notes above then.

Obviously we'll be doing some snorkeling
More on this below.

I wish we had time to check out the Waikiki Aquarium on Ohau, but it will have to wait until next time.
Heh, we spent 2 days on Oahu before heading to the big island, and this was the first stop. As a fish guy, it was overwhelmingly awesome!

Do not leave big island without doing Mauna Kea. It's like going to Mars, it's wild. You'll need to rent 4 wheel drive if you want to do it on your own.
Agree! This was something else we did, and it was probably my 2nd favorite thing. We didn't rent though, we booked a tour with this company (and would certainly use them again): http://www.maunakea.com/
The sunset was beyond fantastic; take the camera again!

I don't know how things are in the winter, but snorkeling in Kahalu'u Beach Park during the summer was a lot of fun. Great variety of fish.
So I wanted to spend more time snorkeling, but a half day was all that happened. My partner had never done such before, but I knew he'd be okay after a bit. And he was, but we both got really sunburnt. Trying to be reef conscious, I had picked up some coral safe sunscreen ahead of time - it doesn't go on easily nor does it stay on well apparently...
Anyhow, Kahalu'u is where we went, and I'd recommend it as a good starting place. It's rather shallow and teaming with life. And yes, I saw a Koi yellow tang as well. :)

I would recommend going to Hanauma Bay State Park, awesome snorkeling. There is an entrance fee but worth it, you can park and walk-in.
http://hanaumabaystatepark.com/
But this is where I really wanted to snorkel; two steps! (as it's known) I was a bit heartbroken we didn't make it here.

Apparently, snorkeling in Kealakekua Bay near the Capt. Cook Monument is some of the best on the Big Island, but getting there is a little tricky. You have to hike or kayak in to the bay.
I saw a lot of mixed reviews on that location, and ultimately I decided two steps would be all around better.

There are manta ray night snorkels in Kona. I never went, but they are very popular.
YES! We did this, on the evening of my birthday. I booked through Kona Ocean Adventures, and it was worth every single penny. My favorite thing we did by far, and a life time memory. We literally had an adult Manta doing feeding roll within an inch underneath us. If you're going to spend a bit of cash on any one tour, just do this! I left the camera at the hotel this night, and in many ways I'm glad I didn't have it as a distraction from the experience.

OP
OP
hatfielj

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Thanks for all of your info! Really helpful. Here now and loving it! Did a horseride in Waimea Valley yesterday and checked out Polulo Valley overlook as well as the small town of Hawi. Really special and beautiful! We've done a lot of swimming and just enjoying the beaches so far. Today we're driving over to Akaka falls and probably stopping at Mauna Kea on the way back. My wife really wants to do a whale watching thing tomorrow. Probably snorkeling tomorrow too. The surf has been really high the last couple of days so the water clarity has been down. Got to see some awesome surfing though:)

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Word of warning: unless you have a 4WD, they won't let you go past the visitor center at Mauna Kea.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back