Lanthanum Chloride Reactor - Trying to Automate LC dosing (no socks) - Suggestions Welcome!

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've researched a few different versions of DIY LC "reactors" that folks have built on here, so I'm trying to replicate them to certain point. The idea I came up with, which uses pumps and reactors I already have, is below.

Does anyone see any issue with this setup? My biggest question is whether or not a standard 5 micron sediment filter like the one here used for RODI units will truly "catch" all of the reacted LC, thus not allowing it to seep into my tank.

I'm open to any and all suggestions on how to improve this, or on any shortcomings that you see.

I'm comfortable that I can dial in the pumps and LC amount, but what I'm most nervous about is any LC precipitate getting to the tank; I have four tangs and a heavy fish load that I want to be very careful with.

1707771970825.png

Thanks!
Scott

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not personally read much about such a reactor system. A priori, I'd be concerned about fairly rapid plugging of the filters.

IMO, why some fish have issues in a very small number of tanks when using lanthanum is unclear. It may be due to the particles, but even assuming so, it is not clear what particle sizes are a problem, and the issue may be with particles smaller than 5 microns. With a lot of human particle issues (air pollution, etc.), smaller particles are often worse than larger ones

OP
OP
S

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Randy Holmes-Farley very helpful. If I were to add a 1 micron filter sock to the effluent before it goes back into the tank, do you think that could adequately protect from the smaller particle issue? Or could there still be particles smaller than 1 micron that get through?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Randy Holmes-Farley very helpful. If I were to add a 1 micron filter sock to the effluent before it goes back into the tank, do you think that could adequately protect from the smaller particle issue? Or could there still be particles smaller than 1 micron that get through?

There certainly can be smaller ones, but I do not know what sizes generally form when dosing lanthanum.

The 1 micron filter may clog very fast in a reef tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back