Dosing Lanthanum Resulted in Dead Yellow Tang

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously dosed lanthanum chloride (Phosphate Rx) into a 10 micron sock without issue. Two days ago I administered a half dose into my overflow which subsequently filtered by a 200 micron RedSea Reefmat. The next morning I woke up and found my Yellow Tang laying on its side on the sandbed breathing very slowly. I removed the tang and put him into a bucket with heater and air stone for observation. Unfortunately, the tang died 15 minutes later (stopped breathing completely).

My One Spot Foxface was best buddies with the Tang and has not been taking the loss well. The Foxface was hiding in the rocks all day yesterday. In the evening, the foxface swam around the tank like a speed demon banging into the rocks and display glass. The Foxface eventually went completely upside down on the sand. After about 10 minutes the Foxface righted itself and went back to its normal hiding spot and seems stable for now.

If anyone is considering dosing lanthanum chloride you should only consider doing so with the appropriate precautions if you have tangs. Going forward I plan to administer a half dose (or less) diluted with 350ml of RODI over 24 hours via an IV bag drip into a 10 micron sock which receives heavy flow via a return manifold in my sump. Slow drip setups are cheap on Amazon if you look for plant watering setups ($6 for 4 bags which are reusable).

Learned my lesson the hard way unfortunately.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Yellow Tang get stressed, when the basement was tiled, and they used a primer on the Floor, was able to rescue using an enormous amount of Charcoal, and outside air. The second time they used the primer, I wasn’t home and lost him. Did some research as to why, as none of the other fish were affected. Apparently their Gill Structures are Finer, when they swell, it cuts off the oxygen.

OP
OP
S

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note: My Reefmat has been using a suspiciously low amount of roll each day for the last week or so. I thought this was due to me doing a deep clean of the rocks and sandbed during a weekly maintenance. I checked last night and found that my the Reefmat fleece had gotten slightly misaligned which means water was leaking out one side of the roll rather than getting filtered. I believe this may have contributed to the lanthanum particles not get filtered out by the Reefmat. Regardless, going forward I intend to dose slowly into a 10 micron filter sock.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been dosing LC twice a day in my 200g tank with 2 yellow and 1 purple 5" fully grown tangs. I dose directly into overflow which goes to a 200 micron filter pad and then flows to skimmer chamber and then refugium chamber. How big is your tank and sump? I have a 48" sump and I think that helps with some of residue settling in my sump before getting back to display

OP
OP
S

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been dosing LC twice a day in my 200g tank with 2 yellow and 1 purple 5" fully grown tangs. I dose directly into overflow which goes to a 200 micron filter pad and then flows to skimmer chamber and then refugium chamber. How big is your tank and sump? I have a 48" sump and I think that helps with some of residue settling in my sump before getting back to display
I have the RedSea 525 which is a 110g display and 30g sump. How much are you dosing daily? I think my issues were large one-time corrective dose + my Reefmat fleece was misaligned so a lot of water was not getting filtered.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the RedSea 525 which is a 110g display and 30g sump. How much are you dosing daily? I think my issues were large one-time corrective dose + my Reefmat fleece was misaligned so a lot of water was not getting filtered.
5ml of phosphate-e twice a day. I read to go slow and do small dosage multiple times a day.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose lanthium regularly with no issues but have read that it can cause 02 deprivation so I only dose during the day.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry that we all had to learn from your mishap!
Problem with dosing Lanthanum chloride and issues with fish, especially tangs has been previously reported.
It has been speculated that the Lanthanum Chloride precipitates in gills of Tangs, hence possibly no issues with dosing into 5-10 micron sock, but different story with 200 microns.
I do dose lanthanum ( on occasion) into 5 micron sock from Large ATO container, very diluted and my Yellow and Powder brown Tangs and other fish are doing swell. Recently, though I changed to GFO in a media reactor.

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose two little fishies phosban-L into my sump with no filter socks. I only use 1ml a day and all 3 tangs have been fine it seems.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose lanthium regularly with no issues but have read that it can cause 02 deprivation so I only dose during the day.

I cannot see how that is possible, unless you mean reaction with gills. Lanthanum will have no interaction with O2.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back