Cloudy water dosing Lanthanum Chloride into filter sock

Dolphis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently started dosing very, very small amounts of Phosphate RX LC (about 6-12 drops into a 165g system per day) directly into a 1micron filter sock. However, I’m getting cloudy water.

Is the cloudy water suppose to leach out while the harmful precipitated particles are kept in the sock?

Non of the fish nor corals are affected, not even the baby Biota yellow tang. No heavy breathing or other signs. The cloudiness goes away after about 3 hours with the roller mat and skimmer.

The filter sock is from Pentek - a reputable brand.
Is the cloudy water normal while dosing into the sock or did I perhaps received a faulty sock?

c4haskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently started dosing very, very small amounts of Phosphate RX LC (about 6-12 drops into a 165g system per day) directly into a 1micron filter sock. However, I’m getting cloudy water.

Is the cloudy water suppose to leach out while the harmful precipitated particles are kept in the sock?

Non of the fish nor corals are affected, not even the baby Biota yellow tang. No heavy breathing or other signs. The cloudiness goes away after about 3 hours with the roller mat and skimmer.

The filter sock is from Pentek - a reputable brand.
Is the cloudy water normal while dosing into the sock or did I perhaps received a faulty sock?
Yes, Lanthium will cloud the water temporary as it binds to phosphates. No need to be alarmed. It will clear up within an hour or two. You are dosing it correctly as well into a filter sock.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed small amounts for several months directly into my skimmer cup and had no cloudy water.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you diluting it? If you dose it undiluted then it may pass through the filter sock before reacting with phosphate/alk and cloud your water.

Also what is your current PO4 level? It becomes less effective as the PO4 level gets lower.

OP
OP
Dolphis

Dolphis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Lanthium will cloud the water temporary as it binds to phosphates. No need to be alarmed. It will clear up within an hour or two. You are dosing it correctly as well into a filter sock.
Awesome! Thank you so much!
Didn’t want to worry about endangering the livestock

OP
OP
Dolphis

Dolphis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed small amounts for several months directly into my skimmer cup and had no cloudy water
The cloudy water will stay in the sock for a couple of minutes (5-10) and will slowly start coming out to the surrounding water, even if there’s no flow.
If I pull out the sock a minute after I dose, the cloudy water will comes out the bottom.

When I dose it directly into the skimmer, it’ll take a few minutes before I see cloudy water in the water column.

OP
OP
Dolphis

Dolphis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you diluting it? If you dose it undiluted then it may pass through the filter sock before reacting with phosphate/alk and cloud your water.

Also what is your current PO4 level? It becomes less effective as the PO4 level gets lower.
Directions didn’t specify any dilution. Only says 6 drops per 10 gallons.
Dosing 6-12 drops in my 100g+ is not much at all.
I’ll try diluting it and see if that makes a difference.

With no flow, the cloudy water will stay in the sock for about 15 mins.
My understanding is, LC binds with phosphate instantly and my PO4 has been dropping since I initially started, so it’s definitely working.
I was mainly concerned the cloudy water had some hazardous particles.

Currently the PO4 is 0.14. Trying to lower it to 0.10, then lower it a bit more and maintain it with the chaeto

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both those results are good IMM.
I’d keep them and begin stabilizing that level.
I have no idea why people shoot for so, so low.
If you miss the mark and zero out, you may see Dino’s take hold.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Directions didn’t specify any dilution. Only says 6 drops per 10 gallons.
Dosing 6-12 drops in my 100g+ is not much at all.
I’ll try diluting it and see if that makes a difference.

With no flow, the cloudy water will stay in the sock for about 15 mins.
My understanding is, LC binds with phosphate instantly and my PO4 has been dropping since I initially started, so it’s definitely working.
I was mainly concerned the cloudy water had some hazardous particles.

Currently the PO4 is 0.14. Trying to lower it to 0.10, then lower it a bit more and maintain it with the chaeto
Ok, diluting will help, however I suspect your socks have too large of a pore size. You want 10 micron or less. The cloudy water should not pass through the filter sock.

The purpose of the dilution is to add the LaCl at a slower rate. When the lanthanum is added, it really, really wants to bind with phosphate, but if no phosphate is available locally, it will bind with other elements. So adding slowly, especially for lower phosphate levels, will allow it to bind phosphate.

Your flow through they sock may also be too low. This will again cause the lanthanum to bind to other elements as the phosphate is quickly depleted due to the low flow. So try more flow into the sock while dosing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dolphis

Dolphis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both those results are good IMM.
I’d keep them and begin stabilizing that level.
I have no idea why people shoot for so, so low.
If you miss the mark and zero out, you may see Dino’s take hold.
I’d like to be in the .08 range. Not chasing numbers or anything and I’m lowering it very, very slow, so a quick bottoming out is unlikely =)

OP
OP
Dolphis

Dolphis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, diluting will help, however I suspect your socks have too large of a pore size. You want 10 micron or less. The cloudy water should not pass through the filter sock.

The purpose of the dilution is to add the LaCl at a slower rate. When the lanthanum is added, it really, really wants to bind with phosphate, but if no phosphate is available locally, it will bind with other elements. So adding slowly, especially for lower phosphate levels, will allow it to bind phosphate.

Your flow through they sock may also be too low. This will again cause the lanthanum to bind to other elements as the phosphate is quickly depleted due to the low flow. So try more flow into the sock while dosing.
The sock I’m using has a 1 micron pore size, that’s why I thought the cloudiness was odd.
But what you mentioned about the LC wanting to bind to other stuff makes sense.
I’ll try diluting and dosing it a lot slower.
Ideally, I’d like to set it up on a dozer, but haven’t gotten around it yet doing other projects

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use phosphat-e and occasionally dose like 5ml when needed dripped into the sock area before the skimmer chamber and it temporarily clouds the display. I have kept this tank at .04 all the way to .15 po4 and possibly higher knowing me lol with positive results. Tanks stability relative to the system.

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cloudy water will stay in the sock for a couple of minutes (5-10) and will slowly start coming out to the surrounding water, even if there’s no flow.
If I pull out the sock a minute after I dose, the cloudy water will comes out the bottom.

When I dose it directly into the skimmer, it’ll take a few minutes before I see cloudy water in the water column.
I wouldn't worry about it. You are dosing tiny amounts. My LFS drops his dose right into the tank with no issues. I used it for like 3 months with no problems. Instructions stated water may cloud so no biggie. Don't dose after lights out.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to be in the .08 range. Not chasing numbers or anything and I’m lowering it very, very slow, so a quick bottoming out is unlikely =)
You should be good -- I have a 150g cube and I dose 30-40 drops, all in one shot, roughly every 6 months. I like PhosphateRx -- yes, it's cloudy but less messy than doing GFOs & canisters. Of course, I don't dose unless PO4 is over 0.10. My last test was on 6/30: NO3 @ 20 and PO4 @ 0.10 -- I will test & dose (if necessary) at the end of this year.

If you're concerned about cloudiness - just do what I do -- dose after the lights are out, before bed! ;)

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it. You are dosing tiny amounts. My LFS drops his dose right into the tank with no issues. I used it for like 3 months with no problems. Instructions stated water may cloud so no biggie. Don't dose after lights out.
Curious: why don't dose after lights are out?

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some reports that it lowers 02 level in the tank so better during the day time.
Interesting - I've not witnessed this. Actually, I don't test specifically for Oxygen level in my tank. My wavemakers are throttled down (so fish can sleep) so less surface agitation. I've been doing this for more than 2yrs -- no issues dosing during the day vs night.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back