Heads up if you are considering a Reeflo pump

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers. I just want to share an experience with you in hopes that it may save someone from the experience I have going on. I purchased a Reeflo hammerhead hybrid in Sept of this year. It has developed a noise that customer service at reeflo suspect is a bearing failing. Since the Reeflo website states the pump has a 3 year warranty I figure I'm covered. Well it turns out that the pump I bought at full retail price was old stock and has no warranty. Reeflo states the warranty begins on the date of manufacture and not the date of retail purchase. They state the retailer should not have sold me the pump. The CS rep at Reeflo states they make that clear to retailers which may or may not be passed on to the end user. Happy reefing and check the date of manufacture before dumping $450 on a pump with no warranty. It sucks because they make awesome pumps but with no warranty I now have an awesome paperweight.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers. I just want to share an experience with you in hopes that it may save someone from the experience I have going on. I purchased a Reeflo hammerhead hybrid in Sept of this year. It has developed a noise that customer service at reeflo suspect is a bearing failing. Since the Reeflo website states the pump has a 3 year warranty I figure I'm covered. Well it turns out that the pump I bought at full retail price was old stock and has no warranty. Reeflo states the warranty begins on the date of manufacture and not the date of retail purchase. They state the retailer should not have sold me the pump. The CS rep at Reeflo states they make that clear to retailers which may or may not be passed on to the end user. Happy reefing and check the date of manufacture before dumping $450 on a pump with no warranty. It sucks because they make awesome pumps but with no warranty I now have an awesome paperweight.
Fortunately the retailer is going to take care of the situation so I won't have a new paperweight. Check those mandates tho. I wonder if BRS knows the 18 they show in stock and advertise a 3 year warranty really don't have 3 years left since they are stock inventory?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thats rediculous. That means mine has 6 months left. Mine was slightly noisy but has become very quiet.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess Reeflo pumps are like eggs. Good to know.

I assume then the box has a clearly printed date of manufacture?

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly no. You would have to contact Reeflo and give them the serial number which is on a sticker on the wet side of the pump. Since It's on a sticker if the sticker is gone I guess your warranty is as well? This just seems like a terrible way for a warranty to work.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard of very many consumer products with warranty starting at date of manufacture. Almost never happens - Lame policy.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be out of business if that were the case in the automotive industry. No one knows this who is purchasing a pump every website that sells them says 3 or 5 years warranty with no mention of it from mandate. The person I was corresponding with could not provide documentation stating it either. She said they explain it to all the dealers that sell their pumps which means nothing to the end user.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final email from Reeflo

Sorry if I am being unclear. The warranty starts the month the pump is sold to the dealer. The pump is made for each order. Dealers are not required to stock. Because of this, there is very rarely a gap in warranty from when the pump was manufactured and the end user receives it. It is very, very rare that a pump is sitting on a dealer's shelf for more than a month or two. When there happens to be a gap of a couple of months, that is overridden by the sale's receipt the customer provides if there is a warranty issue. So our warranty policy very rarely affects the end user negatively. Hope that clears it up.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back