heat or somthing else

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I posted awhile back with a problem everything test's out great so heres whats happening intermitent reccession then healing ,off colored spots or patches on branches(not acro flat worm bites) so the tanks are getting warm(85+ somtimes) which is what I think it is and I also think some tanks get warmer then others even though there part of the same system because some corals of same type or from same colony are doing fine with no affects or symtoms but same coral in diffrent tank but a tank still part of same system isnt.Any idea's I've tested everything its just the randomness of that gets me and the fact it only affects certain tanks.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen what I suspected to be heat related recession. Really slow and in small amounts, but nonetheless there. I was having spikes to 85-87 somewhat frequently (1-2 over 10 days) before making some corrections to my equipment. The recessions doesn't seem as bad. Purely anecdotal, but might be a place to start if you have any controls.

Nothings munching on anything is it? Nothing can be a pain when it changes eating habits and anything is not going to be happy when it is on the menu;).

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm my tank reaches 83-84 everyday with no problems. Actually my lps seens happier with the higher temp.

Dihydrogen Monoxide

Deliquescent Reefkeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a specific Species that seems to be effected? Acropora, Montipora, etc.

Also what levels are you testing for and what levels are you getting? If things seem to be testing fine and corals are not doing fine then I suspect that one of the testing aparatus is in error. Calibrating Refratometers and pH probes would be the first step, installing grounding probes if you are using constant monitoring. For conductivity probes the testing of the water must be in a "drip" cup, for coupled voltage in the water will surely effect the probe, and the voltage is nearly impossible to rid any tank of.

I would personally start there, then get a second oppinion of the tanks waters ;)

Good Luck!

OP
OP
reefboy

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test with both salifert and hanna test kits only probe test is for ph the main stuff affected seems to be just a few varity's of sps and a few lps so I'm going with heat as cal runs 450-500 alk 2.98-3.00 ph 8.1-3 mag 1200-1300 I didnt test Iodine but I dose fairly regularly and strotium is another I didnt test for but dont feel is the issue ,a new and better chiller is in the works for next summer as my assuie lords took a hit too from the heat including my indo one's this really sucked this year.And I bought new tests and had a friend test with theres so three diffrent tests cant be off also phos running 0.02

steve99999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mag glass

YOU should look at some of these corals with a magnifing glass....only real way to see if you have some unwanted friends

OP
OP
reefboy

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BELEIVE me I have this is not from pests I not only looked them over with jewelers glasses I also looked at them under my microscope.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 106 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.1%

Back