Heat Pack / Cold Pack Guidlines

  • Thread starter Thread starter stephj03
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 28, 2009
Messages
1,235
Reaction score
1,014
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I though it might be helpful to post a few notes about Heat Pack/ Cold Pack usage that I took down from a very well respected seller on R2R that ships out lots of acropora.

This info may be elsewhere but I did not see it.

Comments I recieving regarding heat packs:

1. If the lows are above the mid 50s and the highs are in the 70s I usually skip the heat pack.

2. I ship UPS, most of the UPS system is indoors, so they do not need additional heat in that situation

3. I have received Acropora in water down to 58F that had zero issues acclimating and growing. Honestly I think the cooler temps help them last longer in the bag by slowing metabolism.

3. If the water temps get much above the mid to upper 70s I start seeing stressed frags and have losses. Heat is much more deadly than cold.

Comments regarding cold packs:

1. If night temps are above 70 and day temps are mid 80s or higher I try not to ship

2. I've never shipped with a cool pack, it doesn't have enough lasting cooling capacity to maintain temp like the chemical reaction in a heat pack.

3. I would not be comfortable shipping with one (cold pack) without doing some experimentation and measuring temps in a test box first.

LPS and zoas tend to be hardier, and will likely tolerate variation in temp during shipping better.

Hth
 
I would be very interested in other's experience as well. I started shipping this past winter so up until recently it's been straightforward yo always use a heat pack.

But with the weather warming up, I am curious how most ppl factor that in.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new