Heat Pack / Cold Pack Guidlines

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I though it might be helpful to post a few notes about Heat Pack/ Cold Pack usage that I took down from a very well respected seller on R2R that ships out lots of acropora.

This info may be elsewhere but I did not see it.

Comments I recieving regarding heat packs:

1. If the lows are above the mid 50s and the highs are in the 70s I usually skip the heat pack.

2. I ship UPS, most of the UPS system is indoors, so they do not need additional heat in that situation

3. I have received Acropora in water down to 58F that had zero issues acclimating and growing. Honestly I think the cooler temps help them last longer in the bag by slowing metabolism.

3. If the water temps get much above the mid to upper 70s I start seeing stressed frags and have losses. Heat is much more deadly than cold.

Comments regarding cold packs:

1. If night temps are above 70 and day temps are mid 80s or higher I try not to ship

2. I've never shipped with a cool pack, it doesn't have enough lasting cooling capacity to maintain temp like the chemical reaction in a heat pack.

3. I would not be comfortable shipping with one (cold pack) without doing some experimentation and measuring temps in a test box first.

LPS and zoas tend to be hardier, and will likely tolerate variation in temp during shipping better.

Hth

OP
OP
S

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be very interested in other's experience as well. I started shipping this past winter so up until recently it's been straightforward yo always use a heat pack.

But with the weather warming up, I am curious how most ppl factor that in.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back