Heater controller

fogcutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang,

I'm going to be controlling my tank with Apex but I'm also interested in redundancy. I've been reading numerous posts on Apex temp control and I'm kind of shy about relying on that solely.

Has anyone had success with one of these: Inkbird ITC-306T Pre-wired Electronic Heating Thermostat Temperature Controller and Digital Timer?

Like anything else there are mixed reviews but it has two outlets for heaters. Thinking out loud though....it would probably best for redundancy sake to buy two single ports.

Thoughts?

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang,

I'm going to be controlling my tank with Apex but I'm also interested in redundancy. I've been reading numerous posts on Apex temp control and I'm kind of shy about relying on that solely.

Has anyone had success with one of these: Inkbird ITC-306T Pre-wired Electronic Heating Thermostat Temperature Controller and Digital Timer?

Like anything else there are mixed reviews but it has two outlets for heaters. Thinking out loud though....it would probably best for redundancy sake to buy two single ports.

Thoughts?
I'm using a multi-tap to plug two heaters into a single plug inkbird.

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the inkbird mentioned above. I have not had any problems with it.
I have read that some people say they set their heaters pretty high and just depend on the controller. I do not do that, I set my heater a degree or so above the controller.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the controller. I let my heaters control the temp that way if they get stuck on "it happens" the heater will shut it down/take over.

OP
OP
fogcutter

fogcutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks or the info. So are y'all using both ports i.e. using two heaters - one main and one redundant - on that same controller?

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks or the info. So are y'all using both ports i.e. using two heaters - one main and one redundant - on that same controller?
I have both on one controller. The controller will turn them both on and off simultaneously. If one goes out, the other will still take up the slack.

NB Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens if the controller fails? I think two hears each on their one controller, like an inkbird, is the safest way to create a redundant system.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens if the controller fails? I think two hears each on their one controller, like an inkbird, is the safest way to create a redundant system.

That would be the safest but I use 2 heaters on one controller. You got me thinking now

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be the safest but I use 2 heaters on one controller. You got me thinking now
Me too. I'm using two Finnex 500W heaters that have built in digital controllers. Got me thinking it may be safer to run one on the inkbird and one stand alone.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too. I'm using two Finnex 500W heaters that have built in digital controllers. Got me thinking it may be safer to run one on the inkbird and one stand alone.

The stand alone can break then your in a bad spot.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean if it fails ON?

Ya. If the stand alone stays on then your cooked. I have a Neo Them stick on and went to 98d. Least that was in my water changing station...

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya. If the stand alone stays on then your cooked. I have a Neo Them stick on and went to 98d. Least that was in my water changing station...
Is that not possible with an inkbird? Seems like they could fail on as well. Sometimes I'm not sure if redundancy is safer or if it just creates more potential failure points.

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inkbirds are not really a great solution either. You would be better off with a Ranco just make sure you either water proof the sensor with a shrink wrap sleeve or get one with a titanium probe. These are industrial controllers used on many applications from food storage to animal enclosures at zoos. My current one has been in service for over 10 years. They also come in two stage units.

https://www.marinedepot.com/Aqua_Lo...er_Aquariums-Aqua_Logic-AL1711-FITETC-vi.html

OP
OP
fogcutter

fogcutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a crazy thought though....what if I just rely on the Apex unit to do it's job? I know....that's adorable right? ;)

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Apex will provide some additional fail-safe but not necessarily redundancy. The fail-safe is that should the heater get stuck on, the temp monitor on the Apex will detect the raising temp and shut off the outlet to the heater. You should also make sure to set the temp on the heater to be just a degree or two above your desire set point so that if the outlet should get stuck ON the heater only comes on up to that temp. Yes, both can still fail at the same time but the chances of that is a lot less.

For redundancy you'll need atleast 2 heaters and preferably the second one NOT on the Apex. Even better if it was on its own controller too. It would take a perfect storm kind of thing to get through this.

OP
OP
fogcutter

fogcutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Apex will provide some additional fail-safe but not necessarily redundancy. The fail-safe is that should the heater get stuck on, the temp monitor on the Apex will detect the raising temp and shut off the outlet to the heater. You should also make sure to set the temp on the heater to be just a degree or two above your desire set point so that if the outlet should get stuck ON the heater only comes on up to that temp. Yes, both can still fail at the same time but the chances of that is a lot less.

For redundancy you'll need atleast 2 heaters and preferably the second one NOT on the Apex. Even better if it was on its own controller too. It would take a perfect storm kind of thing to get through this.

Sounds like a good plan....thanks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back