Heater exploded

Jblunkall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A guy in my office heard POP and started smelling burnt electric smell. We couldn't find what it was so we waited a couple minutes. All of a sudden smoke started coming from the sump area. It was the heater. It looks like it just split open. Thankfully no signs of decline in the tank so far. Have been monitoring it now for a few hours.
7c69c4f3f6cb2c25f6d42b48e977d491.jpg
049be8a19d0e324411aa308bc3267cda.jpg
1bdf96103a5d4b40b3344a36c3fb6687.jpg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The infamous 200w Cobalt Neotherm strikes again! How old is that heater? I thought they addressed these issues on their larger heaters a few years back.

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny - well not so funny. The exact same thing happened to me while I was doing a water change on Sunday. I heard a 'pop' noise - the case cracking/exploding and then smelled the burning electricity and saw the smoke. I have an AIO so the smoke was coming from the back of my tank. It took me a few minutes and then realized it was the heater. Like you, luckily there have been no ill effects but that's pretty much because I was right there when it happened. I'll never use those heaters again!

MrJoel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. If you go to their page the 200W is not even available since they recalled the model for this issue. No redesign, they just pulled the model. -
-------correction-----
They do have the 200W NeoTherm available now. Still It is probably one to avoid.
They also added a note for Apex users to only plug it into ports 4 or 8.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jblunkall

Jblunkall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The infamous 200w Cobalt Neotherm strikes again! How old is that heater? I thought they addressed these issues on their larger heaters a few years back.

It's at least a couple years old. Maybe I will start replacing them yearly.

OP
OP
Jblunkall

Jblunkall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny - well not so funny. The exact same thing happened to me while I was doing a water change on Sunday. I heard a 'pop' noise - the case cracking/exploding and then smelled the burning electricity and saw the smoke. I have an AIO so the smoke was coming from the back of my tank. It took me a few minutes and then realized it was the heater. Like you, luckily there have been no ill effects but that's pretty much because I was right there when it happened. I'll never use those heaters again!

Yeah this tank is at my office. Glad it happened when we were here. Not sure what would have happened if it would have stayed in there a long period of time.

anbosu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have polyfilter or can get some I would run it in the aquarium to get rid of any metals that may have leached.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes. That could have been bad if nobody was there. If it were me, I would have immediately killed the return pump so any contamination was contained there and changed all the water in the sump with a good rinse and wipe down in the middle. I had a return pump case crack and release a bunch of oil into the tank once. I had a horrible algae bloom after that.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad your tank is okay and I hope that no ill effects are seen in the tank over the next couple of weeks. Seeing another failed heater post is making me feel even better about the radiant heating system I am experimenting with on my system which uses the hot water tank in my house instead of traditional electric heating elements.

JonesthePathfinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had the same thing happen today. I got a call from my wife saying that she and the kids had left the house which was full of smoke and that the Fire Department was on the way to the house.

The reason: My Cobalt Neo-Therm 300w heater, fully submerged, had cracked/shattered inside my sump and been pumping smoke and chemicals through the water and into the air while electrifying the tank. I bought it new from Bulk Reef Suppy in August, installed it in late September, and it just failed disaterously after lasting only 3 1/2 months in the tank!

$150 for a timebomb was not worth it. I'll be going with eheim this time.

10hrs later all my fish are still alive in my 90G w/30G sump. Filled my sump's filtersock half full of activated charcoal, and am making enough RODI saltwater for a 55G water change.

My elegance coral is a loss, and half my softies don't look happy. Fingers crossed.

20200124_143203.jpg

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had the same thing happen today. I got a call from my wife saying that she and the kids had left the house which was full of smoke and that the Fire Department was on the way to the house.

The reason: My Cobalt Neo-Therm 300w heater, fully submerged, had cracked/shattered inside my sump and been pumping smoke and chemicals through the water and into the air while electrifying the tank. I bought it new from Bulk Reef Suppy in August, installed it in late September, and it just failed disaterously after lasting only 3 1/2 months in the tank!

$150 for a timebomb was not worth it. I'll be going with eheim this time.

10hrs later all my fish are still alive in my 90G w/30G sump. Filled my sump's filtersock half full of activated charcoal, and am making enough RODI saltwater for a 55G water change.

My elegance coral is a loss, and half my softies don't look happy. Fingers crossed.

20200124_143203.jpg
That SUX. I hope you don't lose anything else. I have never really trusted anything 120 volt fully submerged. I am so glad I stayed with jager. They are large, and awkward, but a very good heater. I always keep a couple on hand for backup, but have had good service from them.

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until recently I’d been using the same type of electronic heater (100w) but a different brand (Dennerle) and I kept hearing a sound like breaking glass each time it turned off. Alarmed I contacted Dennerle and they sent me a replacement which a few weeks later started making the same scary noise. I wonder what would have happened had I kept using it. I’m using a titanium heater now.

JonesthePathfinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That SUX. I hope you don't lose anything else. I have never really trusted anything 120 volt fully submerged. I am so glad I stayed with jager. They are large, and awkward, but a very good heater. I always keep a couple on hand for backup, but have had good service from them.
Thanks. After a 60G waterchange on my 120G system, three days later all my fish and corals are looking healthy. It was just the Elegance that didn't make it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back