Heater Issue?

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how to test a heater to make sure it's working properly? My temp in the tank went from a pretty steady 77.5 down to 73.4 overnight. Granted the temp in the house went down to 71 last night. The heater light keeps going on and off as if it's working; however the temp does not seem to be going back up.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel to see if the heater gets warm when the light is on.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming it's a typical aquarium stick heater, the heating coil is either working or not working - there's no partly working. The issue may be in the thermostat.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your heater may be too small for your tank. it can take a lot (of heater watts) to heat up the tank above ambient temperature.
If I use a 100watt heater on my 45 gallon, it can be on all day just to keep up. I switched to 300watt heater and it comes on only maybe 10 minutes every 45 minutes when ambient temp is several degrees below the tank temp. In any case, you will likely need to get a new heater.

OP
OP
Arcticfirefighter

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your heater may be too small for your tank. it can take a lot (of heater watts) to heat up the tank above ambient temperature.
If I use a 100watt heater on my 45 gallon, it can be on all day just to keep up. I switched to 300watt heater and it comes on only maybe 10 minutes every 45 minutes when ambient temp is several degrees below the tank temp. In any case, you will likely need to get a new heater.
I'm running a 150W in a 36 Bowfront, and have not had issues before. I think it may have just decided it was done...lol Oh well, more money spent in this hobby.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back